The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Minutes Reference

Guest Guest SY

At a Business Meeting of organization members, I believe Council Meeting minutes were improperly referenced. One of the Council Members handed a copy of the Council Minutes to an organization member and the minutes were referenced as a point of discussion. The Organization by-laws allow an organization member to request a copy of Council minutes with a written request and specification for the purpose of the request. Is there recourse for discussion that took place referencing these minutes at the Business Meeting?

On 9/13/2017 at 11:25 PM, Guest Guest SY said:

At a Business Meeting of organization members, I believe Council Meeting minutes were improperly referenced. One of the Council Members handed a copy of the Council Minutes to an organization member and the minutes were referenced as a point of discussion. The Organization by-laws allow an organization member to request a copy of Council minutes with a written request and specification for the purpose of the request. Is there recourse for discussion that took place referencing these minutes at the Business Meeting?

The council member and/or the organization member could be disciplined, I suppose.

On 9/13/2017 at 11:51 PM, Hieu H. Huynh said:

A member could be punished for violating the secrecy of an executive session, although it's not clear to me that this was done.

Apparently the organization's rules permit individual members of the organization to obtain minutes of meetings of the council, but this requires a formal written request which includes a reason. A council member gave a member of the organization minutes of the council without such a request being submitted. If the council meeting in question was not held in executive session, this doesn't really seem like a big deal to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:39 AM, Guest Guest SY said:

Thank you for your responses. My concern is that minutes from the Council Meeting were referenced without all of the Organization Members having access prior to the Organization meeting.

Okay, but this could have been the case even if your rules were followed. Perhaps the organization should change its rules.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.