The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw changes during elections

Guest Area director

Can a current BOD change bi-laws the week before an election ? Changes to the laws would include restrictions that would disqualify these new members from holding a board seat. 

These members have already been announced as running for executive positions? Vote to be held next week... 

• Dan Honemann changed the title to Bylaw changes during elections

Currently that they can be amended in January and July. 

There is no distinction about when in January. Common sense would say after the new board takes effect.... but common sense escapes some folks..

i think amending the election laws during an election would be some sort of violation? 

16 minutes ago, Guest Area director said:

There is no distinction about when in January. Common sense would say after the new board takes effect.... but common sense escapes some folks..

i think amending the election laws during an election would be some sort of violation? 

You don't say which entity is authorized by the bylaws to amend them.  Is it the board or membership?    Whichever entity has the authority to amend them can do so as long as all procedures specified for their amendment are followed, and yes, it can be done before the elections are held if the bylaws don't prohibit it.

Edited by George Mervosh

2 hours ago, Guest Area director said:

Amendments to the bylaws take effect immediately, unless a proviso is adopted to provide otherwise.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.