The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Improper Decorum During Debate

Guest Gretchen

In our last assembly meeting, another member  (who had not been granted the floor) was making faces to show his disapproval of what I was  saying during debate.  Not only was this disturbing to me as I was attempting to speak but others noticed it as well. Because I had been granted the right to the floor and not the other member, were these facial expressions  considered improper decorum during debate.

As I understand it, it comes down (as do so many things) to "let the assembly decide".

Any member can call another member to order (pp. 645f); I'd presume this would apply even if the member in question is not participating in the debate.

Edited by Benjamin Geiger
Where did I get the idea calling to order required a second?

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

If the faces are disruptive, of course you may call the member to order. This is a point of order that the chair will rule on and tell the offender to quit it, or conversely imply that you should be less sensitive. It all depends on the particular circumstances of your assembly.

14 hours ago, Benjamin Geiger said:

Any member can call another member to order (pp. 645f); I'd presume this would apply even if the member in question is not participating in the debate.

Yes, a member who is not currently speaking in debate may be called to order. This may occur, for instance, if his behavior is indecorous or disturbing to the assembly, or if the member attempts to speak when he has not been recognized.

13 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

If the faces are disruptive, of course you may call the member to order. This is a point of order that the chair will rule on and tell the offender to quit it, or conversely imply that you should be less sensitive. It all depends on the particular circumstances of your assembly.

Even if the chair were to rule the point not well taken, this does not, in my opinion, mean that the chair is implying that the member should take less offense. The chair has merely determined that, in his opinion, the behavior is neither indecorous nor disruptive to the assembly, or at least not to the extent that the member should be called to order. Whether an individual member “takes offense” to the behavior is their own prerogative, provided of course that “taking offense” does not cause them, in turn, to take actions which are indecorous or disruptive.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.