The Official RONR Q & A Forums

dictator chairman

Guest alanpeeples

thank you for responding Gary................this is an Executive Board Meeting.   He is also the "President" or "Chair" of our monthly meetings.

Since it appears that he was elected to his office, the information provided in FAQ #20 (a link to which is provided in post #2) should be helpful.

All replies have been somewhat helpful..........this guy was appointed, not elected.  Our business manager has power to appoint him. I was looking more for a parliamentary procedure whereby I could sidestep the overbearing comments and attempts to "browbeat" everyone into submission.  I was thinking my attempt was to call him on his behavior and then make a motion to overrule his behavior. Sorry if I'm not clear here.  I thank you all for your attempts to help me.

All replies have been somewhat helpful..........this guy was appointed, not elected.  Our business manager has power to appoint him. I was looking more for a parliamentary procedure whereby I could sidestep the overbearing comments and attempts to "browbeat" everyone into submission.  I was thinking my attempt was to call him on his behavior and then make a motion to overrule his behavior. Sorry if I'm not clear here.  I thank you all for your attempts to help me.

Well, you can't overrule behavior, but you might be able to overrule actual decisions.

If he's doing something that breaks a rule (such as failing to recognize someone simply  because he disagrees with their views), you can raise a Point of Order (§23) at the time, and if he rules against you, then Appeal (§24) the decision, which puts the matter up to a vote.

You'll need someone to second the appeal, and a majority to overrule the ruling.   If you have 2/3 support, you can use the method suggested by Mr. H. in post #4 and have him removed from the chair for the remainder of the meeting.

Depending how bright he is, he'll eventually get the point.

Our business manager has power to appoint him.

Is it possible to persuade the Business Manager to remove the chairperson? If not, is it possible to remove the Business Manager?

If neither of these things is possible, Mr. Harrison's suggestion may be the way to go.

I was thinking my attempt was to call him on his behavior and then make a motion to overrule his behavior.

Well, I suppose you can try the Point of Order and Appeal route. Perhaps, for instance, that rather than merely saying he doesn't have to call on people, he actually refuses to recognize a member who legitimately claims the floor. A member raises a Point of Order that the member has the right to speak. The chair rules the point not well taken, claiming he does not have to call on people if he does not want to. A member then appeals from the chair's decision, placing it in the hands of the assembly, and the assembly (presumably) promptly overturns the chair's absurd ruling.

If he does not get the message at this point, however, you really need to remove this chair.

Archived