The Official RONR Q & A Forums

revision of bylaws

wwdslovene

Our organization wants to undertake a fairly extensive revision of its current bylaws. We have a board and a president. Who is

authorized to appoint a committee, and how is the makeup of such a committee decided? The president is of the opinion that the

Executive Committee will take on the chore. I disagree, but I can find no mention in RR who appoints, in fact I find very little

on revisions of bylaws. Help! I would appreciate page references if possible. Thanks you.

Who is authorized to appoint a committee, and how is the makeup of such a committee decided?

Unless your Bylaws suggest otherwise, the general membership may determine the method of appointment and composition of the committee. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 474-481 for more information on appointment of committees (and some recommendation on the composition of committees). Information on amending the Bylaws is in RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 573-581.

There are some thirty-two (densely packed) pages in RONR about bylaws and their revision. Are you looking at the "Right Book" - RONR? Starting on p. 548.

Anyway, if your bylaws - or other adopted rules - don't describe a "Bylaws Committee" the membership, by motion, can establish one and populate it ("appoint") with whomever they think will do a good job.

It is not "automatic" that the president or the executive committee take on the job -- unless the bylaws give them the job.

Archived