The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Vote Change

Guest Lyn

During our monthly Board Meeting, the Board as a whole agreed to cancel 1 Event for the Year - 2011. Now this vote has to be presented to our General Membership for their input and vote, they of course would have the final word as to the outcome of the Event.

The following week at the General Meeting, 2 of us Board Members (there are 10) are sitting there and a completely different story is given to the membership about HAVING this Event again this year. We have no idea what happen within that week. They are going forward with the Event.

Not to have problems the night of the General Meeting, I'm waiting till today to ask my fellow Board Members face to face - what the hell is going on!

Can some Board Members just change a Board vote without informing the complete Board or can they even change the vote without going back to the table with the Board and open up discussions? I'm upset.

What Article (s) would something like this fall under? I have The New Robert's Rules of Order,

Revised and Updated Edition, Edited by John Sherman. Awaiting your MUST NEEDED...Reply

During our monthly Board Meeting, the Board as a whole agreed to cancel 1 Event for the Year - 2011. Now this vote has to be presented to our General Membership for their input and vote, they of course would have the final word as to the outcome of the Event.

The following week at the General Meeting, 2 of us Board Members (there are 10) are sitting there and a completely different story is given to the membership about HAVING this Event again this year. We have no idea what happen within that week. They are going forward with the Event.

Not to have problems the night of the General Meeting, I'm waiting till today to ask my fellow Board Members face to face - what the hell is going on!

Can some Board Members just change a Board vote without informing the complete Board or can they even change the vote without going back to the table with the Board and open up discussions? I'm upset.

What Article (s) would something like this fall under? I have The New Robert's Rules of Order,

Revised and Updated Edition, Edited by John Sherman. Awaiting your MUST NEEDED...Reply

Apparently, your organization has its own rules that require actions taken by the board to be presented to the general assembly for approval or ratification (???). These rules must be observed, of course.

Can some Board Members just change a Board vote without informing the complete Board or can they even change the vote without going back to the table with the Board and open up discussions?

Of course not. Someone should have raised a Point of Order at the time that the report was not what was agreed to by the board. Now it looks like you'll need to wait until your next board meeting (and then your next general meeting) to fix this problem.

What Article (s) would something like this fall under? I have The New Robert's Rules of Order, Revised and Updated Edition, Edited by John Sherman. Awaiting your MUST NEEDED...Reply

Well, first of all, it would help if you got The Right Book rather than a cheap knockoff. After you've done that, see RONR, 10th ed., pg. 485, lines 20-27.

Archived