The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointments to Committees

Guest Harvey Gersin

When appointments are made at a formal meeting, do each appointee require a motion to approve or accept, seconded, discussion and majority vote?

The generic rule is that most "ordinary" motions require a second, are debatable, and require a majority vote for adoption.

Of course there are exceptions. For example, at meetings of small boards, where not more than about a dozen members are presents, seconds are not required. There are also many routine motions that can be adopted, without debate or vote, by unanimous consent.

As a new Chair of a Commission, I need to make several appointments to a few committees. Therefore, as I understand it, the appointed commissioners require a motion to approve and a vote by the full Commission. Is that correct?

You'll have to find the answer to that question in the rules governing your commission.

As far as RONR is concerned, if you have the authority to appoint members of a committee, no additional approval is required.

When appointments are made at a formal meeting, do each appointee require a motion to approve or accept, seconded, discussion and majority vote?

It depends on how the committee is being appointed.

If the assembly creates the committee and in addition to naming the size also names the members, then it is done at the time the motion is pending. If more people are nominated than the committee's size, an election is held; otherwise, those nominated are appointed.

If the motion to create the committee (or a rule) provides that the president or chair (of the meeting) appoints, or that the chair (of the committee) recruits and appoints, or that the committee itself can add to its own number, or some similar case where the power to appoint is delegated, then the requisite number of members may be appointed without further approval.

Unless there is some "advice and consent" clause in your bylaws, the power to appoint is simply that.

As a new Chair of a Commission, I need to make several appointments to a few committees.

Oh? -- "I ... make several appointments ...?"

So, the chair of the commission is empowered to do such appointing?

Or, does the commission itself do the appointing, and not an individual?

Therefore, as I understand it, the appointed commissioners require a motion to approve and a vote by the full Commission.

Is that correct?

Unknown.

If you, as an individual, have the power to appoint, then NO MOTION IS NECESSARY.

Where a president or chairman (i.e., a sole individual) has been empowered to to a certain appointment, that party merely announces his choice(s) in a proper meeting, and it's done. No motion is to be made, since no voting is to be done.

If the commission itself does the appointing, then, YES, a motion is the normal way to do appointing (even though it is not the only way).

Thank you for all your help. I have one other question concerning appointments. What is the proper way to announce or recommend the appointments of committee members? In other words, what do I say at the meeting to announce the new members of standing committees?

What is the proper way to announce or recommend

the appointments of committee members?

In other words, what do I say at the meeting to announce the new members of standing committees?

Yeow! :o

Unknown! Again!

There is a huge difference between

(a.) recommending appointments to a second party

(b.) making appointments yourself, and announcing the appointments to a second party

• One is dependent on a second party's approval.

• One is unilateral, and needs no approval from any second party.

Q. Which is your case?

Archived