The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President-Elect to automatic President?

Guest lost in california

Guest lost in california

Since the day that our chamber of commerce was formed each year after the election of new board members, we have had board elections. At these meetings we (the board) decides who will be the new president, president-elect, vice-president, etc. Well, our current president-elect is trying to tell us that he will automatically be the next president and that he doesn't have to be voted in. I'm afraid that he wants to be president so bad, that he is up to something. My question is; "Is this allowed?" "have we been doing this wrong all these years?" "Can or should a president-elect, just jump to the spot of president?" Any advise??

"Some organizations desire to elect their president one entire term in advance, and in such cases, during the term following the election, the person chosen is called the president-elect. This office exists only if expressly provided for in the bylaws, in which case the members never vote on any candidate for the office of president, but elect a president-elect and the other officers of the organization. Accordingly, when a member has served his full term as president-elect, he automatically becomes president for a full term. Once a person has been elected president-elect, the assembly cannot alter its decision regarding the succession of that person to the presidency, unless he vacates office during his term as president-elect or unless ground arises for deposing him from that office." [page 441]

Soooooooooooooooooooo, it all depends on what your bylaws say.

-Bob

Since the day that our chamber of commerce was formed each year after the election of new board members, we have had board elections. At these meetings we (the board) decides who will be the new president, president-elect, vice-president, etc. Well, our current president-elect is trying to tell us that he will automatically be the next president and that he doesn't have to be voted in. I'm afraid that he wants to be president so bad, that he is up to something. My question is; "Is this allowed?" "have we been doing this wrong all these years?" "Can or should a president-elect, just jump to the spot of president?" Any advise??

Yes, under RONR, the position of president-elect exists to elect the person to the office of president one term later (p. 441).

You don't vote for the president, because you elected him the last time.

You bylaws may say differently, but we don't look at them here.

"have we been doing this wrong all these years?" "Can or should a president-elect, just jump to the spot of president?"

Apparently, you have; yes, he normally does.

If you elect a president-elect each year, it makes no sense to me why you would be voting for president too. Normally, a president-elect is someone who has been elected to be president, but hasn't taken office yet. In organizations where this is done a year ahead of time, the president-elect becomes president automatically.

What do your bylaws say about this? That's what you go by.

Yes, under RONR, the position of president-elect exists to elect the person to the office of president one term later (p. 441).

You don't vote for the president, because you elected him the last time.

You bylaws may say differently, but we don't look at them here.

I disagree. RONR does NOT provide for the office of "President elect". Only the organization's bylaws (or other governing documents) can do that. The cited provisoon of RONR sets out how an office of President elect should be handled IF the organization so chooses to have this office.

I disagree. RONR does NOT provide for the office of "President elect". Only the organization's bylaws (or other governing documents) can do that. The cited provisoon of RONR sets out how an office of President elect should be handled IF the organization so chooses to have this office.

Yes, but this organization does. They're just not quite sure what to do with him.

Archived