The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation of President

Guest John D

I understand that when a president resigns his position that the VP will take on the office of president and a vacancy will exist at the VP level. Are we required to backfill the VP role if vacancy filling provisions do not exist in our by-laws?

I am not completely sure what you mean by "backfill" but if the bylaws don't have a vacancy filling provision then whichever body elected the VP would fill the vacancy. However, previous notice would be needed before the vacancy can be filled.

Sorry, by "backfill" I meant are we required to have a special election to fill the VP role or can we decide to move forward without a VP?

I would say that the vacancy should be filled. However, depending on how much time is left until the next election for VP, what the administrative (extra-meeting) duties of the President and VP are, whether the (new) President has a good record of showing up at the meetings, how difficult it would be to get the Membership together to fill the vacancy, etc you might be able to get away with no VP for a short period of time.

I would say that the vacancy should be filled. However, depending on how much time is left until the next election for VP, what the administrative (extra-meeting) duties of the President and VP are, whether the (new) President has a good record of showing up at the meetings, how difficult it would be to get the Membership together to fill the vacancy, etc you might be able to get away with no VP for a short period of time.

OK thank you. To be clear what you are saying is that it is NOT required to fill the vacancy?

OK thank you. To be clear what you are saying is that it is NOT required to fill the vacancy?

I wouldn't say that exactly. The vacancy should be filled ASAP. However, depending on circumstances it might be impractical or overly difficult to try to fill the vacancy with only a few months left.

The vacancy should be filled if it is at all practical to do so.

And if it's not practical, the rules should be changed so that it is.

Eight presidents served without a Vice President due to having themselves succeeded to that position from the Vice Presidency, before the 25th Amendment allowing the appointment of a new one.

John Tyler

Millard Fillmore

Andrew Johnson

Chester Arthur

Theodore Roosevelt (until Mar 4, 1905)

Calvin Coolidge (until Mar 4, 1925)

Lyndon B Johnson (until Jan 20, 1965)

And if it's not practical, the rules should be changed so that it is.

Eight presidents served without a Vice President due to having themselves succeeded to that position from the Vice Presidency, before the 25th Amendment allowing the appointment of a new one.

John Tyler

Millard Fillmore

Andrew Johnson

Chester Arthur

Theodore Roosevelt (until Mar 4, 1905)

Calvin Coolidge (until Mar 4, 1925)

Lyndon B Johnson (until Jan 20, 1965)

What about Truman? Oh, that would make eight.

Archived