The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Trivia

Lori Lukinuk

This was sent to me....does anyone know if it is correct? Interesting Trivia: In the late 1700's, many houses consisted of a large room with only one chair. Commonly, a long wide board folded down from the wall, and was used for dining. The 'head of the household' always sat in the chair while everyone else ate sitting on the floor.. Occasionally a guest, who was usually a man, would be invited to sit in this chair during a meal. To sit in the chair meant you were important and in charge. They called the one sitting in the chair the 'chair man.' Today in business, we use the expression or title 'Chairman' or 'Chairman of the Board.'

We have moved from Chairman to Chair or Chairperson.

This was sent to me....does anyone know if it is correct? Interesting Trivia: In the late 1700's, many houses consisted of a large room with only one chair. Commonly, a long wide board folded down from the wall, and was used for dining. The 'head of the household' always sat in the chair while everyone else ate sitting on the floor.. Occasionally a guest, who was usually a man, would be invited to sit in this chair during a meal. To sit in the chair meant you were important and in charge. They called the one sitting in the chair the 'chair man.' Today in business, we use the expression or title 'Chairman' or 'Chairman of the Board.'

BohhhhhhhhhhhhhhGus! Click here for the facts.

BohhhhhhhhhhhhhhGus! Click here for the facts.

Do I recall right that the term Chairman came from the fact that back in The General's time most assemblies stood up and that the presiding officer was the only one who sat down (in a chair)? Or is that more Snopes fodder? At first thought it doesn't make much sense given that rising votes are discussed and members rise to address the Chair, but I could swear that I read that from somewhere reputable.

The term chairman dates back to the mid-1600's and referred to the presiding officer, just like it does now.

Well, some assemblies have. Other groups are highly protective of the term "chairman."

Do I recall right that the term Chairman came from the fact that back in The General's time most assemblies stood up and that the presiding officer was the only one who sat down (in a chair)? Or is that more Snopes fodder?

Even Jefferson's Manual makes reference to members rising to obtain the floor, so it seems that members of assemblies have been sitting for quite some time. This is unsurprising, as I haven't been to many meetings where I could comfortably stand for the entire time. :)

Even Jefferson's Manual makes reference to members rising to obtain the floor, so it seems that members of assemblies have been sitting for quite some time. This is unsurprising, as I haven't been to many meetings where I could comfortably stand for the entire time. :)

That's right. I was a bit confused. In Parliamentary Law on pp. 303-304 the General says that in "the early times" the presiding officer is the only one who got a chair. Everyone else got to sit on benches.

Everyone else got to sit on benches.

That is still true in London.

CSPAN sometimes broadcasts a session from the House of Commons (or is it the House of Lords).

The members truly sit on benches, tiered like high school basketball seats, facing each other, just like a high school gym.

Believe It Or Not. :)

That is still true in London.

CSPAN sometimes broadcasts a session from the House of Commons (or is it the House of Lords).

The members truly sit on benches, tiered like high school basketball seats, facing each other, just like a high school gym.

It's the House of Commons.

Whence comes the term, "backbencher".

Archived