The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to Fill Open School Board Position?

Guest Mitch

Question, Due a term end and the person moving on, we will have an open school board position for which no one has pursued getting on the ballot for. We are a five member board. How does the open position get filled? Does the chair appoint or designate someone? Can the board choose to leave the position unfilled until the next year when someone could be placed on the ballot? Thanks

Question, Due a term end and the person moving on, we will have an open school board position for which no one has pursued getting on the ballot for. We are a five member board. How does the open position get filled? Does the chair appoint or designate someone? Can the board choose to leave the position unfilled until the next year when someone could be placed on the ballot? Thanks

Well, if you're governed by Robert's Rules, you hold the election anyway, and count up the write-in votes.

But if this is a public or chartered school district, you probably have additional rules and state statutes to follow, and will need to talk to the board attorney.

You should have bylaws, or policies in the nature of bylaws, that specify how mid-term vacancies are filled, but this does not sound like a mid-term vacancy.

Well, if you're governed by Robert's Rules, you hold the election anyway, and count up the write-in votes.

But if this is a public or chartered school district, you probably have additional rules and state statutes to follow, and will need to talk to the board attorney.

You should have bylaws, or policies in the nature of bylaws, that specify how mid-term vacancies are filled, but this does not sound like a mid-term vacancy.

We do follow Robert's Rules for small boards. There is onother member who's term is up that will be on the ballot however there will also be the aforementioned vacancy. So if there are no write in's for the unfilled position, what should occur? If this is spelled out in Robert's Rules I apologize but did not find it. Thanks again.

We do follow Robert's Rules for small boards. There is onother member who's term is up that will be on the ballot however there will also be the aforementioned vacancy. So if there are no write in's for the unfilled position, what should occur? If this is spelled out in Robert's Rules I apologize but did not find it. Thanks again.

You would have an incomplete election and you all need to fill that vacancy. Ask yourselves what is making it so hard to get enough people willing to serve on the Board? Are there too many duties and no one is willing to take them on? Do the Board members not have enough duties but must attend meetings even though they have no real power to do anything? What is going on? If you all can figure out what the problem is you will be taking a step to get the position filled. Also, as was noted since this is a School Board there may be other rules you can look to for help.

We do follow Robert's Rules for small boards. There is onother member who's term is up that will be on the ballot however there will also be the aforementioned vacancy. So if there are no write in's for the unfilled position, what should occur? If this is spelled out in Robert's Rules I apologize but did not find it.

Strictly speaking, the proper procedure under RONR would be to have another round of voting. This seems highly impractical for a public body, however, so I would strongly advise you consult your own rules to see if there is another procedure to follow.

Also, as was noted since this is a School Board there may be other rules you can look to for help.

I think this is the salient point. Since this is a public body, I strongly suspect it has its own customized rules on the matter and the traditional procedures in RONR for completing elections or filling vacancies will not apply.

Archived