The Official RONR Q & A Forums

PRP

Lori Lukinuk

Anyone have advice on how to prepare for the Professional Qualification Course to become a PRP. A little information....I am somewhat isolated(geographically) and have limited opportunity to practice presiding. I fully intend on doing this somehow....just need to find a way to make it happen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anyone have advice on how to prepare for the Professional Qualification Course to become a PRP. A little information....I am somewhat isolated (geographically) and have limited opportunity to practice presiding.

I fully intend on doing this somehow; just need to find a way to make it happen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My suggestion:

Contact the N.A.P.

They will have an entire state-full list of parliamentarians who are local to you, and who likely know what worked for them.

And what didn't work for them!

A little practice trick that worked for me, when the kids were little, was to have occasional parliamentary dinners.

"Mr. Chairman, I move that dad pass me the salt". "Second"

"Is there any discussion?"

"I move that the motion be amended by inserting the words "and pepper" after the word 'salt'". "Second."

"It has been moved and seconded that the words..."

Well, you get the idea.

Don't push it to excess.

My suggestion:

Contact the N.A.P.

They will have an entire state-full list of parliamentarians who are local to you, and who likely know what worked for them.

And what didn't work for them!

Since Lori's location is listed as "Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada," it's actually an entire province-full list of parliamentarians, but none of them are PRPs.

Since Lori's location is listed as "Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada," it's actually an entire province-full list of parliamentarians, but none of them are PRPs.

My location is an issue for this. There is a Dan Lynch in southern Ontario, in the Waterloo, Ontario area, but that is a 20 hr drive from Thunder Bay. Ontario is a huge province. I am presently a NAP MAL. I would like to join a unit, but not sure what that would gain me. While face-to-face interaction is optimal, here in T.Bay we have been able to utilize 21 century technology in a big way to hold meetings very effectively. Video conferencing, Adobe connect, and even Skype are useful tools. Are there any units out there using techonogy to hold meetings? Are there any PRPs out there who are capable of holding workshops using such technology? If the answer is no to either question....someone should figure it out as there could be a huge market for such a thing.

My strength is the book knowledge of RONR....my weakness is actual presiding....I need to find a way to practice. Just reading scripts isn't going to do it.

I do know some folks who call themselves parliamentarians in my area. Quite frankly though....they're not!!! Even I can tell that.

Sorry, this may not be a topic for this discussion forum and I won't waste anymore of folks airtime with it, but if there are any technologically savy PRPs out there I'd love to hear from them.

Are there any units out there using techonogy to hold meetings? Are there any PRPs out there who are capable of holding workshops using such technology?

I'm very glad you asked that question. The National Association of Parliamentarians does not currently have any electronic units, but the current proposed Bylaws revision includes language to change that. In the meantime, you might wish to check out the Electronic Network of Advancing Parliamentarians (eNAP), of which I am the Secretary. We meet via IRC and many of our members are PRPs. The workshops at this time have largely consisted of discussing parliamentary situations, but the Education Committee is looking into other possibilities.

Sorry, this may not be a topic for this discussion forum and I won't waste anymore of folks airtime with it, but if there are any technologically savy PRPs out there I'd love to hear from them.

This discussion is straying a bit from the purpose of this forum, but hopefully you get a chance to check out eNAP before The Wrathful One puts the brakes on the thread.

I'm very glad you asked that question. The National Association of Parliamentarians does not currently have any electronic units, but the current proposed Bylaws revision includes language to change that. In the meantime, you might wish to check out the Electronic Network of Advancing Parliamentarians (eNAP), of which I am the Secretary. We meet via IRC and many of our members are PRPs. The workshops at this time have largely consisted of discussing parliamentary situations, but the Education Committee is looking into other possibilities.

This discussion is straying a bit from the purpose of this forum, but hopefully you get a chance to check out eNAP before The Wrathful One puts the brakes on the thread.

Thank you. This is helpful. Glad to see movement to the 21st Century. I'll keep watch to see what other possibilities develop.

Archived