The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidential Duties

willie

Is there a typo in the wording of "subject to control of the board". Sounds like the president is controlled by the board. But I don't think it is intended to read that way, maybe I don't understand that wording fully.

The wording struck me sort of strange as well. However, you would have to ask those who adopted that wording whether there was a typo.

Is there a typo in the wording of "subject to control of the board". Sounds like the president is controlled by the board. But I don't think it is intended to read that way, maybe I don't understand that wording fully.

Maybe you don't. If that's a typo then we need a lot more like it.

It's pretty clear that the president is "subject to the control of the board", which is exactly what Robert's Rules would require anyway.

That's what distinguishes a president from a dictator.

Thank you.

please walk me through understanding that fully; the president cant do any thing on his own, he must answer to and be directed by the majority of the board? Why would you need that in the by-laws - can you direct me to the RONR for that langauge. In an example? I get the dictator vs president concept but an example woul dbe great!

Thank you.

please walk me through understanding that fully; the president cant do any thing on his own, he must answer to and be directed by the majority of the board?

The President only has the authority that RONR and the bylaws give him (RONR p. 440).

Why would you need that in the by-laws

You wouldn't and in my opinion such language would be ill advised because if they say that he is controlled by the Board someone might (and probably will) argue (somewhat unreasonably) that means that the General Membership doesn't have control over him (RONR pp. 570-573).

Thank you.

please walk me through understanding that fully; the president cant do any thing on his own, he must answer to and be directed by the majority of the board? Why would you need that in the by-laws[?]

You don't, as that is what RONR already says. (RONR p. 440, l. 19)

What ought to be in the bylaws is a list of administrative duties that the president is authorized to do, if any, not what he's not authorized to do, because without such a list, RONR says he's authorized to do nothing but those duties associated with conducting meetings.

Without such a list, your bylaws say that the president does what the board decides.

Archived