The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of officers

easterly44

Can a current President be re-elected to the same position? Can Presidents from previous years be elected to President again? We have no explanation of this in our immediate rules, so what does Robert's Rules state (guidelines we must follow secondly)? Also, it's been said that the Vice Pres goes up to President. It's not written, it is considered a "given". Can we still run any candidate that is currently on the board (at least 2 yrs)for President even though it's considered a courtesy?

Unless your bylaws contain an office-holding limitation, a person may continue in that office without limitation as long as he/she continues to be elected. Consider the United States Congress. :rolleyes: A person could be re-elected to consecutive terms or to non-consecutive terms in the same office with or without a break in service.

If peopel are saying otherwise, ask them to point to their source. If people are saying that it is the "tradition" of the organization, then it's up to the membership to decide whether to continue the current "tradition" or to begin a new one.

-Bob

Can a current President be re-elected to the same position? Can Presidents from previous years be elected to President again? We have no explanation of this in our immediate rules, so what does Robert's Rules state (guidelines we must follow secondly)?

Well, there's no rule against it in RONR, and there appear to be no rules against it in your bylaws. What makes you think there's something wrong with it?

Also, it's been said that the Vice Pres goes up to President. It's not written, it is considered a "given". Can we still run any candidate that is currently on the board (at least 2 yrs)for President even though it's considered a courtesy?

The only time a Vice President automatically succeeds to the presidency is when the office of president is vacated in mid-term, such as by death, resignation, removal. At election time, anyone may run for any office for which they are eligible according to your bylaws. RONR places no limitations on anyone's eligibility to run for any office.

Well, there's no rule against it in RONR, and there appear to be no rules against it in your bylaws. What makes you think there's something wrong with it?

The only time a Vice President automatically succeeds to the presidency is when the office of president is vacated in mid-term, such as by death, resignation, removal. At election time, anyone may run for any office for which they are eligible according to your bylaws. RONR places no limitations on anyone's eligibility to run for any office.

I have never held this position and want to go by the rules. There are no by laws in our list, but I'm sure someone will make a comment about it and I want to have the right answer. Thank you for reassuring me that I am correct in being able to say "everyone is eligible to re-run for a position".

I have never held this position and want to go by the rules. There are no by laws in our list, but I'm sure someone will make a comment about it and I want to have the right answer. Thank you for reassuring me that I am correct in being able to say "everyone is eligible to re-run for a position".

Then be assured you're quite right.

In fact, unless your bylaws limit candidacy to members, even I am eligible to run for office in your organization. (I probably would not do well in the election, however, so allow me to decline in advance.) :)

Archived