The Official RONR Q & A Forums

length of executive term

Guest doug

If there's no term of office I would think the current president would serve until he resigned, died, or was replaced.

Yes, but if the bylaws also state, for example, that elections are held each year at the Annual Meeting, then the opportunity for replacement is never more than 12 months away.

Yes, but if the bylaws also state, for example, that elections are held each year at the Annual Meeting, then the opportunity for replacement is never more than 12 months away.

If the Bylaws state that elections are held each year at the Annual Meeting, then the term of office is one year (unless there is something in the Bylaws which suggests otherwise).

If the Bylaws state that elections are held each year at the Annual Meeting, then the term of office is one year (unless there is something in the Bylaws which suggests otherwise).

Yes, that was my point. Although the explicit lanugage "The term of the president shall be..." might not appear expressly in the bylaws, it may still be the case that terms are effectively a year long, if there is some other section that deals with election of officers.

Otherwise, a sitting officer who did not run for re-election would simply be replaced by someone who did.

if your by-laws don't state how long an executive's (President) term is, do you then work on a year to year term?

No.

You go by "election to election."

That is, your bylaws ought to specify WHEN your ANNUAL MEETING is. -- That is when you hold your elections.

Your "annual" election MIGHT be every 2 years (i.e., a "bienniel" election), like in the case of a convention.

So, to answer your question, it isn't automatically ONE YEAR.

Thus, where there is no term of office, and you have an annual meeting or bienniel meeting, the officer(s) serve from "successor to successor". (A fancy way of saying "election to election".)

Archived