The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Interim VP Harrasment

Guest Confused

I have an issue with a Interim VP who is constantly threatening me with action when I try to reschedule board meetings so that the majority of the board can attend since it is about setting election guidelines and ammending bylaws. He has never asked to address the board but takes liberty in doing it. The last board meeting we had he took over the meeting and made it uncomfortable for everyone. We had only a handful of board members who voted to review new bylaws on a certain date and it was not a full board vote. Many board members cannot attend this date and it is important for them to be there for this. I proposed to change the date and he threatened me with action if I change the date. What can I do about this?

I have an issue with a Interim VP who is constantly threatening me with action when I try to reschedule board meetings

I proposed to change the date and he threatened me with action if I change the date.

What can I do about this?

Nothing.

You cannot change a meeting date, unilaterally. -- I assume that Robert's Rules of Order applies, and you have no other rule which says otherwise.

Nothing.

You cannot change a meeting date, unilaterally. -- I assume that Robert's Rules of Order applies, and you have no other rule which says otherwise.

The gentleman in question has been making harrasing statements and spreading untruths about board members which has affected their personal and work lives. This is one reason we are trying to reschedule the meeting. It has become entirely uncomfortable for people to even be around him. I am at a loss as to what to do. He has only been in as an interim for 2 months and is trying to undo 2 years worth of work. He has even stated people are giving kickbacks to lawyers yet has never asked to see the financials.

The gentleman in question has been making harrasing statements and spreading untruths about board members which has affected their personal and work lives. This is one reason we are trying to reschedule the meeting. It has become entirely uncomfortable for people to even be around him. I am at a loss as to what to do. He has only been in as an interim for 2 months and is trying to undo 2 years worth of work. He has even stated people are giving kickbacks to lawyers yet has never asked to see the financials.

The REASON for the changes does not change the fact. -- Short of a customized rule saying otherwise, presidents do not arbitrarily change meeting dates.

No matter how ridiculous your VP may be.

No matter how "interim" your VP is.

The REASON for the changes does not change the fact. -- Short of a customized rule saying otherwise, presidents do not arbitrarily change meeting dates.

No matter how ridiculous your VP may be.

No matter how "interim" your VP is.

And at the same time, VPs do not schedule meetings. What do your bylaws say about scheduling meetings? That is an important piece of information that needs to be considered. Did the scheduling of the meeting follow the bylaws?

I proposed to change the date and he threatened me with action if I change the date. What can I do about this?

Find the section in your bylaws that gives you the authority to change or suspend meeting dates, and show it to him. It must be in your bylaws, because there is no such authority in RONR.

If you can't find it, then he's right.

I have an issue with a Interim VP who is constantly threatening me with action when I try to reschedule board meetings so that the majority of the board can attend since it is about setting election guidelines and ammending bylaws. He has never asked to address the board but takes liberty in doing it. The last board meeting we had he took over the meeting and made it uncomfortable for everyone. We had only a handful of board members who voted to review new bylaws on a certain date and it was not a full board vote. Many board members cannot attend this date and it is important for them to be there for this. I proposed to change the date and he threatened me with action if I change the date. What can I do about this?

Not sure what an "interim VP" is. Either he is a VP or he isn't. If you mean he has been appointed or elected to fill a vacancy created by a resignation and he's filling out the rest of the unexpired term, then he IS a VP. Unless of course your bylaws define a position of "interim VP."

What is the quorum for your board meetings? If your meetings are not attended by a majority of the board, then it quite possible you don't have a quorum present and can't conduct business anyway. If, at such a meeting, you adopt a motion to create an adjourned meeting for a date when the majority (or all) of the board will be present, that is one option.

If this VP is "taking over meetings", you as the President (yes?) should call him to order. No one "takes over a meeting" unless no one objects or corrects the situation.

As for his remarks about other members, whether inside a meeting or not, this sort of violation of decorum should not be allowed. You (your organization, that is) should take steps to correct this, which may include disciplinary action leading to removal from office and even expulsion from the membership. See FAQ #20 elsewhere on this site, and read Chapter XX in RONR (10th Ed.) to see some options. It can be an involved process, not to be taken lightly.

As for changing meeting dates, as noted you probably don't (but may) have the authority to do that. Only your bylaws can say for sure.

Archived