The Official RONR Q & A Forums

referral over motion

Guest local1091@aol.com

I would like to know if an item is on a consent agenda and is referred to a committee of the whole can it be pulled out of the agenda, discussed, and voted on? Or does the referral to committee stand Superior.t

As I understand it, an item on a consent agenda can only be agreed to, and that must be by unanimous consent (not even one objection). So I don't understand how it <got/gets/will get> Referred to a committee, even the Committee of the Whole, without taking it off the consent agenda first.

Before the consent agenda is actually passed, any item can be pulled off upon the demand (objection) of any (one) member. After which it can be debated, amended, referred, adopted, rejected, you name it.

If it has already been referred, then it's not yours until they report it back, or you Discharge the committee from further consideration of that question.

So I don't understand how it <got/gets/will get> Referred to a committee, even the Committee of the Whole, without taking it off the consent agenda first.

The motion to Refer may be made as an Incidental Main Motion while no question is pending. That would be a method by which the motion could be referred to a committee before the consent agenda came up.

So I don't understand how it <got/gets/will get> Referred to a committee, even the Committee of the Whole, without taking it off the consent agenda first.

The motion to Refer may be made as an Incidental Main Motion while no question is pending. That would be a method by which the motion could be referred to a committee before the consent agenda came up.

I agree, but that would have the effect of taking it "off the consent agenda". My point was it can't be both referred and still up for consent. Strike the word first and insert simultaneously--better?

Archived