The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recusal Effect on Quorum

Guest Chris

Hi,

In a situation where someone recuses themselves from a vote, does that recusal affect quorum? I.e. you need four for a quorum, one member recuses themselves, leaving three voting members. Has a quorum been met (assuming no other language in the bylaws)?

Thanks,

Hi,

In a situation where someone recuses themselves from a vote, does that recusal affect quorum? I.e. you need four for a quorum, one member recuses themselves, leaving three voting members. Has a quorum been met (assuming no other language in the bylaws)?

Thanks,

Assuming there is no language in the bylaws regarding a member recussing themselves the act of abstaining (recussing) is entirely voluntary and would not affect the quorum (RONR p. 394).

If the Bylaws have nothing on this subject, the quorum is met so long as the member remains in the room. For the purposes of determining if a quorum is present, the term "voting member" refers to a member who has the right to vote, whether or not the member chooses to vote on a particular subject. So there are still four voting members present in the example you have provided.

Your presumption that there are only three voting members left is not necessarily correct.

"Recusing" yourself is not something covered in RONR. If you aren't a judge in a court, it amounts simply to an informal announcement of your intent not to participate in considering the motion. It does not make you a non-voting member--you can still vote at any time, although those around you might look at you funny after you said you wouldn't. But you still count towards a quorum as long as you remain present.

If you get up and leave, then you don't count toward a quorum, whether you "recuse" yourself, "excuse" yourself, or just slink away without a word.

Archived