The Official RONR Q & A Forums

can non member run for board position?

Guest Ilona Baumhofer

Guest Ilona Baumhofer

Hello!

I've been on the waiting list to become a member of a quilting guild for 1 1/2 years now. I've attended meetings as a guest and I attended two quilting retreats. I joined a guild affiliated mini-group. Elections are coming up and guild members suggested I run for president.

What are the rules for a non-member to run or get elected for a board position?

Thank you!

Ilona B.

ibmhfr@yahoo.com

Eligibility rules for officers would have to be in the bylaws. If they don't provide that officers must be members, then nothing prevents you from being elected to the board or to the presidency. By default, RONR has no eligibility requirements at all, beyond getting a majority vote.

The only odd twist would be that as a non-member, you would not be permitted to vote (not even to make/break a tie), would not count toward a quorum, and would not enjoy other rights of membership in the assembly of the society. However, you presumably would be a member of the board, and would have the right to move, debate, and vote on motions in that body.

You'll have to carefully read the bylaws to see what rules apply, but as far as RONR is concerned, you're good to go.

The only odd twist would be that as a non-member, you would not be permitted to vote (not even to make/break a tie), would not count toward a quorum, and would not enjoy other rights of membership in the assembly of the society. However, you presumably would be a member of the board, and would have the right to move, debate, and vote on motions in that body.

I would think that if our poster is elected president, and the president is ex officio a member of the board, then she would have full rights of membership (including voting) in board meetings. This would not translate to membership meetings, I suppose.

If elected to the board, why "presumably"?

If elected to the board, surely, but if elected president, we have seen some strange rules that speak of "the officers" and "the board" as different entities and that demand sometimes-tricky interpretation.

Presumably, my presumption was not too presumptuous, but you never know.

Archived