The Official RONR Q & A Forums

order

jazzyjan

I attended a meeting and a question about the sell of tickets for our reunion came up for a discussion. She totally dissagreed that members should be held accountable for the sell of 5 tickets and I held my hand up to be recognized by the president. I am confused on a topic according to the robert rule of order about the point of order. Afer she spoke,then the vice president spoke and I was next in line to speak. It became a conversation between the 2. Who was suppose to call point of order. Was it me,president.or the parlimentarian

I attended a meeting question about the sell of tickets for our reunion. She totally dissagreed that members should be held accountable for the sell of 5 tickets and I held my hand up to be recognized by the president. I am confused on a topic according to the robert rule of order about the point of order. Afer she spoke,then the vice president spoke and I was next in line to speak. It became a conversation between the 2. Who was suppose to call point of order. Was it me,president.or the parlimentarian

Are you a member of the assembly or just observing the meeting?

I attended a meeting and a question about the sell of tickets for our reunion came up for a discussion. She totally dissagreed that members should be held accountable for the sell of 5 tickets and I held my hand up to be recognized by the president. I am confused on a topic according to the robert rule of order about the point of order. Afer she spoke,then the vice president spoke and I was next in line to speak. It became a conversation between the 2. Who was suppose to call point of order. Was it me,president.or the parlimentarian

Any member of the group that is meeting can make a point of order. Ideally, the president should stop the dialog but any member may request order.

Who is "she"?

Was a motion made to require members to sell 5 tickets? Or was this just "discussion" about a "question?" Whose idea ("question") was it?

When this "conversation between the 2" (I assume now it's the VP and "she", and by "conversation" you mean they were talking back and forth), the president should have stopped it, since no member gets to speak twice before everyone who wishes to speak gets their first opportunity to do so. The parliamentarian probably should have caught the president's ear and advice him/her in this regard, and you should have risen to a point of order that the rules of debate were being violated. Unless...... this is how the club operates (custom), with discussions between a couple people going on while everyone else listens, which doesn't make it right, but rules don't enforce themselves.

Archived