The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion

tamali

I am President of a small non -profit association. There are 51 members. We have a meeting once a month. There are 10 members who want credit cards allowed in our sales. We have voted down the use of credit cards 3 times. The majority of members are senior citizens (some in their 80's) and do not want this motion to pass. If this motion passes our commission will have to be raised by another 10% as I was told by Bank Institutions ( I researched 3 banks) in order to defray the cost. Already I have members, quite a number, who will quit. My question to you: Can these 10 members continuously bring up the motion to have credit cards month after month? Doesn't the vote of members voting no count for anything? Do they have to attend every meeting to vote no on this issue? The 10 are waiting for a meeting where they have the majority vote. I am getting fewer and fewer members attending meetings. Thank you in advance for any insite you can give me.

Can these 10 members continuously bring up the motion to have credit cards month after month?

Yes. A motion can be renewed every session until it is adopted (RONR pp. 325-331).

Doesn't the vote of members voting no count for anything?

It does but not in a way that will help you here.

Do they have to attend every meeting to vote no on this issue?

Yes.

Would it be ok for a member to make a motion during discussion of this topic to table it? The discussions can get heated. If tabled for how long? Until the next meeting and the process starts over again? Thank you so much for your help.

That would be the incorrect motion to use. The proper one to use would be to postpone it (however that motion would be debatable which would defeat the purpose). Two ways to approach this is to:

1) Object to the consideration of the question (RONR pp. 258-261) which if adopted by a 2/3 vote would put the brakes to the motion even before it starts to be considered. However, the objection must be raised before any debate starts or any subsidiary motions are stated by the Chair.

2) A member who is opposed to the motion after being recognized can move the Previous Question (RONR pp. 189-201) which if ordered by a 2/3 vote would force the motion to an immediate vote.

The first option would be better if you are wanting to dispose of the motion as quickly as possible because whoever made the motion has the right to enter into debate on the question first which means that up to 10 minutes will be taken up before someone can move the Previous Question if the question wasn't objected to first.

thank you. this forum has help immensely. I have read the #13 FAQ. It is a little confusing. If a motion is made and seconded and debate takes place and voting has not occured to accept the first motion, may another member make the motion "To Postpone Indefinitely"? Does the Postpone Indefinitely kill the first motion? Can they bring up the first motion again at the next meeting even though we all know what indefinitely means?

thank you. this forum has help immensely. I have read the #13 FAQ. It is a little confusing. If a motion is made and seconded and debate takes place and voting has not occured to accept the first motion, may another member make the motion "To Postpone Indefinitely"? Does the Postpone Indefinitely kill the first motion? Can they bring up the first motion again at the next meeting even though we all know what indefinitely means?

See RONR pp. 121-125 for details on that motion.

If a motion is made and seconded and debate takes place and voting has not occured to accept the first motion, may another member make the motion "To Postpone Indefinitely"?

Yes, assuming the motion is in order at the time.

Does the Postpone Indefinitely kill the first motion?

Yes, if adopted.

Can they bring up the first motion again at the next meeting even though we all know what indefinitely means?

Yes, if the next meeting constitutes a new session (which it almost certainly does).

Well the could adopt a standing rule or bylaw that bans the use of credit cards at your sales thereby making any motion to do so out of order.

True, but the members could attempt to rescind the rule at each opportunity. That could be at each meeting for the standing rule. There may be fewer opportunities to amend the bylaws, depending on the procedure specified in the Bylaws.

Archived