The Official RONR Q & A Forums

2/3 vote verses majority

Guest Fred

I have a group of members that want to recend a vote at a previous meeting. They claim that the motion that was made to donate funds to another organization requires a 2/3 vote and only a majority made it pass at out last meeting. What constitutes a 2/3 verses a majority? and do they need just a majority to recend a motion?

I have a group of members that want to recend a vote at a previous meeting. They claim that the motion that was made to donate funds to another organization requires a 2/3 vote and only a majority made it pass at out last meeting.

Whether they are correct or not in their assertion that the original motion required a 2/3 vote to pass has no bearing on their right to move to rescind it.

Have the funds been donated yet? That could throw a damper on things, though!

I have a group of members that want to recend a vote at a previous meeting. They claim that the motion that was made to donate funds to another organization requires a 2/3 vote and only a majority made it pass at out last meeting. What constitutes a 2/3 verses a majority? and do they need just a majority to recend a motion?

Do you have some sort of custom rule that requires a 2/3 vote for donating funds? Because RONR does not, and a majority would be enough to pass it.

To rescind it requires a majority vote with previous notice or, without notice, either a 2/3 vote or a majority of the entire membership of the voting body--whichever is less.

• A "majority vote" is more than half of those present and voting. (If there are more Yes votes than No votes you have a majority, otherwise not. Abstentions are not votes at all.)
  • A "2/3 vote" means that at least 2/3 must approve. (If the Yes votes are at least double the No votes, you have 2/3.)
  • A "majority of the entire membership" means that the number of Yes votes must be strictly more than one-half of the total number of members (if everyone had showed up) of the body in which the vote is being taken. (The number of No votes don't really matter in this case.)

Archived