The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Notice of Motion

Guest Jackie

I posted earlier regarding the requirements needed to NOT put forward a motion that a Notice of Motion was given on. Our organization requires us to do public consultations when closing a building. We put a Notice of Motion forward, had the consultations and as a result the Notice of Motion has been changed to reflect the desires of the community. How do we handle this? Does the original Notice of Motion get put forward and the changes made within the meeting or do we now put the motion forward with the changes reflected. We have been advised to put the originial notice of motion forward, not discuss it because that has already been done in another meeting, amend it at the table and then get chair to put new motion forward for voting. Any advice??

Since you're a member of a public entity contact the attorney representing it.

I am very new to my role and thought this was a simple question for a forum of this caliber. We did consult with our legal department, however, there answer is quite confusing. We will go back to them again.

I am very new to my role and thought this was a simple question for a forum of this caliber. We did consult with our legal department, however, there answer is quite confusing. We will go back to them again.

Oh we can handle any question on Robert's Rules, but the answer to your question (and many others here), relies on other rules which your group is bound to, and which we know nothing about, and which take precedence over Robert's Rules.

I'm sure the attorney could clear it up for you if you said their answer was confusing.

Archived