The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Multible Candidates: How to Determine WHO is Elected?

Guest Camellia Rose

Guest Camellia Rose

My organization elects a Nominating Committee biennially. The election is next month April, 2011. We must elect 7 members. 15 names are on the ballot. I ASSUME the top 7 nominees with the most (not majority) votes win the election. If there is a definitive top 7 with the most votes...great! Case closed. What if 6 people get the most votes and then there are 2 with the next highest SAME number of votes? What is the procedure used to determine who wins the 7th vacancy? (I'm thinking another "run-off" election between the 2 nominees). What does Roberts Rules say about the procedure for processing elections with multiple candidates? How does Roberts Rules address the procedure if additional elections are required? Please cite the page noted in RONR. Thanks.

I ASSUME the top 7 nominees with the most (not majority) votes win the election. . . . I'm thinking another "run-off" election between the 2 nominees.

Well, RONR says it takes a majority vote to win an election. And no "run-off"; all names remain on the ballot.

You keep voting until all the positions are filled.

In order to be elected, a candidate must receive a majority of the votes cast. You have a case of 15 persons running for 7 positions. The ballot would show "vote for 7". Let's say that 6 candidates receive the needed 51 votes (or greater) and that none of the other candidates did. You have now elected those 6 candidates and you have an incomplete election fo rthe final position. You then remove the winning candidates from teh ballot and conduct a new election among the remaining 9 candidates for the 1 available position.

RONR says that you may not drop the lowest candidate and must continue revoting until one candidate gets a majority. See page 427ff.

Double check your bylaws for requirements for voting by ballot and other provisions that might affect the process.

-Bob

I ASSUME the top 7 nominees with the most (not majority) votes win the election.

No, it's the top 7 with a majority. In other words, once you count the number of ballots cast for this office (director?), each with up to 7 names selected, a winning candidate must have received a vote on more than half of those ballots.

In case of an incomplete election, immediately conduct a second ballot to decide any still-unfilled seats. Same rules as before. Rinse, repeat.

Archived