The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion

Guest George

Our International Union is conducting a educational training conference for our top 5 officers. During our monthly meeting in February our President

exprssed his disire to send as many of the 5 as possible because 2 of the 5 were new officers and that the training would only benefit our Local.

A motion was made to send the President, it was seconded and passed. During our E-board meeting in March the President again stated that he felt

that we should send more to the conference because it would only benefit our Local. The past President argued that to do so would be a violation

of Robert's Rule of Order and that a motion could not be made. During our regular March monthly meeting a motion was made to send 3 of remaining 4

officers to the conference, seconded and passed 5 for 3 against. There were 11 members present at the meeting including the President. Since the

President can only vote if there is a tie there were only 10 members who could vote. Two members did not vote leaving a total of 8 members that

voted. My question is: Would it be 2/3 of 8 members or 10 members for the motion to pass?

First of all ask your Past president where he got such a rule (whatever he thinks it is) -- not in RONR, that's for sure.

Now your turn: where did you get the 2/3 vote requirement that you seem to imply?

5 to 3 is a majority of those voting in favor, which is the standard for adoption -- unless your union has a special rule. Does it?

Our International Union is conducting a educational training conference for our top 5 officers. During our monthly meeting in February our President

exprssed his disire to send as many of the 5 as possible because 2 of the 5 were new officers and that the training would only benefit our Local.

A motion was made to send the President, it was seconded and passed. During our E-board meeting in March the President again stated that he felt

that we should send more to the conference because it would only benefit our Local. The past President argued that to do so would be a violation

of Robert's Rule of Order and that a motion could not be made. During our regular March monthly meeting a motion was made to send 3 of remaining 4

officers to the conference, seconded and passed 5 for 3 against. There were 11 members present at the meeting including the President. Since the

President can only vote if there is a tie there were only 10 members who could vote. Two members did not vote leaving a total of 8 members that

voted. My question is: Would it be 2/3 of 8 members or 10 members for the motion to pass?

There is no rule in RONR that would prevent you from making an additional motion to send more people.

There is no rule in RONR that the President can only vote if there is a tie.

There is no rule in RONR that a motion such as this requires a 2/3 vote to pass.

Where are you getting these rules?

Now I'm confused. In Feb. a motion was passed to send one person. In Mar. a motion was passed to send 3 more people. Isn't that reconcidering or recinding

the original passed motion made in Feb.? If so doesn't that require a 2/3 vote if notice was not given to the entire membership? If it does require a

2/3 vote, is it 2/3 of the membership attending the meeting or 2/3 of the membership that voted at the meeting?

Now I'm confused. In Feb. a motion was passed to send one person. In Mar. a motion was passed to send 3 more people. Isn't that reconcidering or recinding

the original passed motion made in Feb.? If so doesn't that require a 2/3 vote if notice was not given to the entire membership? If it does require a

2/3 vote, is it 2/3 of the membership attending the meeting or 2/3 of the membership that voted at the meeting?

It could be done that way, but since each motion can stand alone independent of the other, there is no reason to use the more cumbersome method. One motion said send Alice. Another motion said send Bob and Carol and Ted. Neither motion listed the names of people who should not go. And there is no conflict between them.

Now I'll grant you that some very oddball wording of the motion might alter this, but if it's just a motion authorizing Alice to attend training, and doesn't say "and no other members" or something like that, then I don't see the problem.

Side question if you don't mind. Can you tell me what program or software you use to conduct your E Board meetings.

Any details at all would be appreciated. I am looking for a way to do the same with my assembly and could really use the

help.

E-board is commonly used as an abbreviation for "Executive Board." I suspect you have something else in mind.

Archived