The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President resigns - can he be Past President?

Guest MikeG

The president of our club resigned for health reasons two years ago, and the replacing President still has the office. Thus there is no real Past President. The president who resigned has continued to attend meetings as Past President - contributing nothing useful whatsoever - is this allowed, or can we politely tell him that he can no longer be considered Past President? Is there anything in Robert's Rules covering this? I couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

The president of our club resigned for health reasons two years ago, and the replacing President still has the office. Thus there is no real Past President. The president who resigned has continued to attend meetings as Past President - contributing nothing useful whatsoever - is this allowed, or can we politely tell him that he can no longer be considered Past President? Is there anything in Robert's Rules covering this? I couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

RONR does not address Past Presidents. But let me ask you if this member who was a President in the past is not a Past President what would you call him? I mean Richard Nixon is still a Past President even though he resigned his office after being part of one of the biggest scandals in the history of the US Presidency.

Thanks!

If, as seems to be the case, your organization provides an official role a a past president or the immediate past president, then that is a choice your organization made. If you don't like how this is working out, then you can certainly change the rules.

...Richard Nixon is still a Past President even though he resigned his office after being part of one of the biggest scandals in the history of the US Presidency.

As this post concerns the office of (Immediate?) Past President, it should be pointed out that if your president dies in office, then you have no immediate past president (IPP), just one of a number of issues with making the IPP a member of your board.

-Bob

The president of our club resigned for health reasons two years ago, and the replacing President still has the office. Thus there is no real Past President.

Well, clearly there is a past president (a person), but there may not be a Past President (an officer). I presume that you must have such an office specified in your bylaws. If not, then you truly do not have a Past President. If so, then you probably do, unless this office is limited, say, to a fixed term of a year after leaving the office of President.

The president who resigned has continued to attend meetings as Past President - contributing nothing useful whatsoever - is this allowed, or can we politely tell him that he can no longer be considered Past President? Is there anything in Robert's Rules covering this? I couldn't find anything.

Well, there isn't anything there because RONR doesn't mention such an office. You'll have to consult your bylaws for any and all definitions regarding who is (are) the Past President(s) of your society, what duties, rights, and powers they have, and how they fit into the organization.

If this is a defined office, and this person suffers from no limitation or disqualification defined in the bylaws, then you cannot remove him except as the bylaws may provide or, if they are silent, for cause as provided in RONR Chapter XX.

If there is no such office, or he is no longer qualified by the bylaws to fill it, then he is not. Presumably he is still a member of the society however, and still entitled to attend meetings and contribute nothing, as is normally the right of any member.

Is it just the title you're asking about? And if so, what real difference does it make what he's called?

Archived