The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominated Slate and presentation

Guest Anne

Hi! We had a slate presented to our membership meeting on Tuesday, Mar 22. Then, on March 27, an email was sent out to the e-list including the name of someone newly nominated for a position that was previously vacant.

My question is, once the slate is presented, is it possible to add someone like that, or do they instead need to run from the floor? and, does that change if the email was before the minimum 30 days notice as specified in the bylaws?

Thanks!

Anne

Hi! We had a slate presented to our membership meeting on Tuesday, Mar 22. Then, on March 27, an email was sent out to the e-list including the name of someone newly nominated for a position that was previously vacant.

My question is, once the slate is presented, is it possible to add someone like that, or do they instead need to run from the floor? and, does that change if the email was before the minimum 30 days notice as specified in the bylaws?

Thanks!

Anne

The nominating committee should nominate a person for each position. Did it?

Once the nominating committee presents its report, it ceases to exist. Only if a nominee withdraws would the committee be revived to select another nominee. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 421.

I don't know what you're talking about with the "30 days notice."

I interpret what you said to mean that the nominating committee presented its report to the membership on March 22, indicating the person(s) they would nominate at the election, (to be held in April?). On March 27, the committee indicated they were amending their report to provide a nominee for a position that was previously vacant.

No rule in RONR would prevent the nominating committee from amending their report prior to actually presenting it. However, if your bylaws provide specialized rules, e.g. that the report must be made a month ahead of the election, they those rules superscede RONR.

-Bob

I interpret what you said to mean that the nominating committee presented its report to the membership on March 22, indicating the person(s) they would nominate at the election, (to be held in April?). On March 27, the committee indicated they were amending their report to provide a nominee for a position that was previously vacant.

No rule in RONR would prevent the nominating committee from amending their report prior to actually presenting it. However, if your bylaws provide specialized rules, e.g. that the report must be made a month ahead of the election, they those rules superscede RONR.

-Bob

Thank you Tim, JD and Robert.

JD, I am not admonishing anyone. It is however a fact that the person listed in the slate has an advantage over anyone running from the floor, and I want to make sure this is done fairly.

Our bylaws state that the slate must be presented to the membership at least 15 days before the election.

Robert, you are correct, a slate was presented with two vacancies. Then a modified slate was presented, with one of the vacancies filled.

Based on what you three wrote, it seems this is in keeping with RONR.

Thank you all again so very much for your help!

It is however a fact that the person listed in the slate has an advantage over anyone running from the floor . . .

Firstly, you would do well not to refer to the report (the selections) of the nominating committee as a "slate".

Secondly, depending on the politics of the particular organization, being selected by the nominating committee (i.e. "the powers that be") could actually be a disadvantage. I would think incumbency, for example, confers a greater advantage.

It is however a fact that the person listed in the slate has an advantage over anyone running from the floor, and I want to make sure this is done fairly.

That might be true most of the time but I can imagine there being a clique in the nominating committee and with a few other members who the nominating committee nominates for the office. The Membership may overall not approve of the way that the clique is doing business and anyone who was nominated from the floor would have an advantage over the committee's nominees.

That might be true most of the time but I can imagine there being a clique in the nominating committee and with a few other members who the nominating committee nominates for the office. The Membership may overall not approve of the way that the clique is doing business and anyone who was nominated from the floor would have an advantage over the committee's nominees.

Hi H. Wm. and Chris.

Thanks so much for your help. You are right, in that I was generalizing our situation inappropriately. I see your point, but for our group, being on the list of nominees is an advantage. And, no, in case you are wondering, I am not planning to run from the floor, nor am I supporting an alternate candidate.

I also am sorry if using the word slate is considered bad form - it is what our organization calls it, so I am just using their terminology.

Thanks again for your help!

The nominating committee would be in violation of the bylaws if they added names to their report during the period 15 days before the election.

-Bob

Since they did it before that window, then it is ok! Thanks so much - you all are an invaluable resource!

Archived