The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Single Vote cast by secretary

1bruni

If the bylaws require the election of a president, the only question left for the assembly to decide is whether Mr. A or someone else shall be elected.

Ultimately that is true, but if the election is conducted by voice vote, then the way it is decided is by voting on each candidate separately, and there is nothing more irrational about putting the question on the election of the last (or only) candidate than there is about putting the question on the first one.

If the person is not elected, the assembly will proceed from there, probably by reopening nominations.

I agree that it is not altogether proper for the assembly to be placed into such a situation to begin with, but I think it's an exaggeration to say that there is no rational negative side to the question.

I'll be waiting for the 11th edition.

I do think however that the proper question is "That ___ be elected president." (That is for SG.) :)

Well, if such a question is put, I'll be voting against it, because there is no rational affirmative side to it. :-)

Yes there is and that is the example on p. 416.

If 'a nomination is, in effect, a proposal to fill the blank in an assumed motion "that _______ be elected" to the specified position' (RONR p. 416, ll. 4-6), then the question in the election is on whether a certain name shall fill the blank (when the vote is taken by voice) or on what name shall fill the blank (when the vote is taken by ballot).

The blank having been filled on the assumed motion, the chair declares the result, with no further vote needed.

The chair never puts the question on the motion "That ___ be elected president" with a blank in the question, as that would be absurd.

Archived