The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Single Vote cast by secretary

1bruni

If all criteria are met and an elected office(s) of a society is uncontested it is a commmon practice for "the secretary to cast one vote" to acknowledge the election of officers. Is this an accepted practice and is it referred to in Robert's Rules of Order?

It may be a common practice but the proper procedure, if there is only one nominee for a particular office and the bylaws do not require a ballot vote, is for the chair to declare the sole nominee elected "by acclamation". See p. 428.

It may be a common practice but the proper procedure, if there is only one nominee for a particular office and the bylaws do not require a ballot vote, is for the chair to declare the sole nominee elected "by acclamation". See p. 428.

... and if the bylaws do require a ballot vote, it is definitely not in order (p. 398-99).

While we on this forum regularly quote page 428 to say that, the actual quote is "When only one nominee is put up and the bylaws do not require a ballot, the chair can take a voice vote, or can declare that the nominee is elected..." From personal experience, I've found that the chairman declaring the election leaves the assembly members feeling they did not actually get to vote for their officers.

Execising the other option, "the chair can take a voice vote", seems to better suit some groups.

-Bob

While we on this forum regularly quote page 428 to say that, the actual quote is "When only one nominee is put up and the bylaws do not require a ballot, the chair can take a voice vote, or can declare that the nominee is elected..." From personal experience, I've found that the chairman declaring the election leaves the assembly members feeling they did not actually get to vote for their officers.

Execising the other option, "the chair can take a voice vote", seems to better suit some groups.

-Bob

Taking a voice vote when there is only one nominee is a bad idea.

As I posted, the issue with declaring the sole candidates to have been elected is that the assembly is deprived of the opportunity to vote for them.

The problem with taking a voice vote is that the assembly may not understand they will not be given the option to vote against the candidate.

Dan, are we getting an advance peek at the 11th Edition?

-Bob

The problem with taking a voice vote is that the assembly may not understand they will not be given the option to vote against the candidate.

Or, perhaps the "problem" with the voice vote is that the assembly is given the option to vote against the candidate. After all, when you vote there's always an option.

Dan, are we getting an advance peek at the 11th Edition?

-Bob

Hasn't it always been a bad idea? The only reponsible way to vote against the lone nominee or object to the chair's declaration that a lone nominee is elected, is to vote for someone else. The fact a voice vote is permitted doesn't mean it's a good idea, that's all.

You really expect Robert's Rules to say taking a vote on something is absolutely prohibited? This case is hardly different from a motion to approve the minutes.......don't do it.

The analogy may fit in theory but not in practice. Approving the minutes (which can be changed fairly easily if an error is discovered after the fact) is quite different from electing officers. I'm not making this up; people liken the chair's announcement of an election without their vote to the same thing being done in public elections. You get to go to your public polling place and cast your vote, even if all the candidates are unopposed.

I think the problem can be dealt with in a way that should be fairly satisfying to all:

Chairman: Are there any nominations from the floor? [pause] If there are no nominations from the floor, a motion to close nominations would be in order.

Member: I move that nominations be closed. [second]

Chairman: It is moved to close nominations. As all the candidates are unopposed, closng nominations will have the effect of electing these candidates. The motion is not debatable and requires a 2/3 vote. ... The motion has been adopted, the nominations are closed and these candidates are elected. The chair congratulates our new officers.

-Bob

The analogy may fit in theory but not in practice. Approving the minutes (which can be changed fairly easily if an error is discovered after the fact) is quite different from electing officers. I'm not making this up; people liken the chair's announcement of an election without their vote to the same thing being done in public elections. You get to go to your public polling place and cast your vote, even if all the candidates are unopposed.

But in reality, aren't your only choices in this approach to either vote for the candidate, write in, or abstain? You don't actually get to vote no for an unopposed candidate, do you?

I'm not making this up; people liken the chair's announcement of an election without their vote to the same thing being done in public elections. You get to go to your public polling place and cast your vote, even if all the candidates are unopposed.

If members really want to compare it to public elections, then they should have a ballot vote like in public elections, so that the individuals may write-in the candidate of their choice.

But in reality, aren't your only choices in this approach to either vote for the candidate, write in, or abstain?

Yes.

You don't actually get to vote no for an unopposed candidate, do you?

Of course not.

I recognize what Mr. Fish is saying about the uneasy feeling that would exist in some organizations if a person just get's "declared" elected. It would be more of a problem in some than in others, naturally.

But remember, we did have a question posted here recently from someone asking what the (presumably different) removal procedures would be to get rid of an officer who had been "acclaimed" into office as opposed to actually having been elected. If there had been some sort of vote, if only ceremonial in nature, to make people feel as if they "voted" the candidate in, that might make a difference in some societies.

Maybe this should be one of those rare times when a voice vote may be put, but the negative not called for. If the same vote were taken by ballot, a "No" vote would not be counted, which suggests it could be omitted from a voice vote without causing any new problem, and perhaps bypassing an old one.

I guess we'll just have to see what Eleven brings us in the way of new rules. I'll be bating with weighted breath.

Archived