The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board member leave of absence

Guest Larry Johnson

I would like to know if board members who have been granted a leave of absence count toward the quorum needed for voting?

There is no such thing as a "leave of absence" in RONR. If you're not present, you're absent (and vice versa). Only members who are present count towards the quorum requirement (which, by the way, has nothing to do with voting).

I would like to know if board members who have been granted a leave of absence count toward the quorum needed for [the transaction of business]?

A leave of absence means that the member has been granted leave (permission) to be absent. But having permission to be absent does not mean that the member is present, it just means that their absence is permissible.

Only people who are present count toward a quorum.

I would like to know if board members who have been granted a leave of absence count toward the quorum needed for voting?

Your question is a little vague, but as I am understanding it, here's what you are asking:

Let's just say you have a 10-member board. Your quorum (we'll go with the default majority) thus is 6 (more than half of 10) members. If one member is granted a leave of absence, your thinking is you now have a 9-member board, and the quorum adjusts down to 5 (more than half of 9).

Is that about right? Or is there something else to your question?

Your question is a little vague, but as I am understanding it, here's what you are asking:

Let's just say you have a 10-member board. Your quorum (we'll go with the default majority) thus is 6 (more than half of 10) members. If one member is granted a leave of absence, your thinking is you now have a 9-member board, and the quorum adjusts down to 5 (more than half of 9).

Is that about right? Or is there something else to your question?

The leave of absence would only be legitimate if it is in the bylaws or procedural law.

Archived