The Official RONR Q & A Forums

club members speaking

Guest Louise

Hi There,

My question is can members of a club come to executive meetings and have a voice if they wish to speak or are they not allowed to say anything and observe. These people are members of a club. Does the board just make a motion to allow those people to speak?

Thanks

Louise

My question is can members of a club come to executive meetings and have a voice if they wish to speak or are they not allowed to say anything and observe. These people are members of a club. Does the board just make a motion to allow those people to speak?

Only members of the body which is meeting have any rights to the proceedings (RONR p. 628). In other words nonmembers have NO RIGHTS at all under RONR.

Only members of the body which is meeting have any rights to the proceedings (RONR p. 628). In other words nonmembers have NO RIGHTS at all under RONR.

Meaning as long as they are a member of the group or organization? Don't they just put a motion forward at the meeting to give that person a voice and allow them to speak.

Lisa

Meaning as long as they are a member of the group or organization? Don't they just put a motion forward at the meeting to give that person a voice and allow them to speak.

Lisa

A Board member can move to grant the non (Board) member time to speak. If the speech is being made while a motion is pending a 2/3 vote is required to Suspend the Rules to allow a nonmember to speak in debate. If no question is pending a majority vote will suffice.

Lisa

See RONR (10th Ed.) page 255, lines 3-12, and also the footnote on that page. Non-members may be allowed to speak in debate, but it requires a motion to Suspend The Rules, which requires a 2/3 vote or unanimous consent.

The board may adopt a motion to allow someone who is not on the board to speak.

It can be a member of the society, the Queen of Sheba, or any Joe off the street.

(Mr. Foulkes has cited the Work, and explained the voting requirement(s).)

See RONR (10th Ed.) page 255, lines 3-12, and also the footnote on that page. Non-members may be allowed to speak in debate, but it requires a motion to Suspend The Rules, which requires a 2/3 vote or unanimous consent.

I love this forum.... I thought non Board members could just be allowed the courtesy of speaking... this puts a whole new slant on things :)

KM

I thought non Board members could just be allowed the courtesy of speaking...

They can be. But it's the board that allows that courtesy. It can often be done by unanimous consent ("If there's no objection, Louise has a breif she'd like to make") but if some on the board don't like the idea, it's put to a vote.

Archived