The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Different Bodies

Guest GuestSeeking Help

Guest GuestSeeking Help

A motion was passed by the Board of my membership organization at the most recent BOD meeting. This motion is very unpopular amongst the regular rank and file members. We have a General Membership Meeting coming up.

Can the General Members vote to rescind a motion made by the Board? Or does the Board have to do it first? This is not one of those protected motions; in fact, as President I feel I can rule it improper because it conflicts with our by-laws and standing rules. However, we have that general membership meeting coming up BEFORE the next BOD meeting. It's possible it will be brought up at the general membership meeting and I want to make sure I am prepared.

Guest GuestSeeking Help

One thing I am not sure about is the improper motion ruling and its appeal. For instance, I am going to inform this board member before the General Meeting that I am going to rule his motion improper at the next BOD meeting. Suppose a regular member brings it up at the GMM, and I tell them that I have decided to rule it improper. Would two regular members be able to appeal my decision at that time, therefore bringing it to a vote, or would it have to wait until the board meeting?

Archived