The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes - Are defeated Motions or Amendments recorded?

Guest Anne Fairfield

Guest Anne Fairfield

Should Minutes record defeated Motions or Amendments?

Thanks Chris, but, I don't think you answered my question exactly. I understand what you said. However, if Minutes are to state what was done, not what was said, and an amendment is defeated, nothing would change (the main motion), so why would it be recorded in the Minutes?

Thanks Chris, but, I don't think you answered my question exactly. I understand what you said. However, if Minutes are to state what was done, not what was said, and an amendment is defeated, nothing would change (the main motion), so why would it be recorded in the Minutes?

If a motion is made, and an amendment to it is adopted, the motion is changed accordingly. The minutes will reflect the motion (as amended) as either adopted or defeated. That is, the motion as put by the chair is what is recorded, without reference to the amendment or that the original motion as moved was different from what was adopted or lost.

Motion: That the barn be painted red.

Amendment: Strike red and insert blue. (adopted)

The minutes will reflect that the motion to paint the barn blue was (adopted/defeated).

If the amendment was defeated:

The minutes will reflect that the motion to paint the barn red was (adopted/defeated).

The main motion, and it's disposition, is recorded even if defeated. What is not recorded is that there was an amendment moved and defeated (or adopted).

Should Minutes record defeated Motions or Amendments?

Minutes should record main motions, whether passed or defeated. Only motions that are withdrawn are not recorded.

Minutes do not (typically) record amendments that are defeated. Amendments that are agreed to are recorded as part of the main motion, of course.

But if a motion is postponed while amendments are pending, the minutes should record enough information so that when it once again comes before the assembly, there is enough information about the status of the motion so that status can be recreated.

Archived