The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Elections by E-mail Vote

rhdz13

Chapter Board Elections are coming up on Wednesday, and some members will not be able to attend, due to Chapter assigned business.

A request was made to "allow" for these members to vote via "e-mail".

This request came after the last Board meeting, and did not allow for this discussion to take place during the regular Board meeting.

An e-mail was sent to the Board, by a standing Board member (up for re-election), to "poll" the remaining Board members, whether to allow for this type of "e-mail" balloting.

Is this process "valid", --- eventhough a similar request was denied last year?

Does the President have the ability to "VETO", and by what process?

Chapter Board Elections are coming up on Wednesday, and some members will not be able to attend, due to Chapter assigned business.

A request was made to "allow" for these members to vote via "e-mail".

This request came after the last Board meeting, and did not allow for this discussion to take place during the regular Board meeting.

An e-mail was sent to the Board, by a standing Board member (up for re-election), to "poll" the remaining Board members, whether to allow for this type of "e-mail" balloting.

Is this process "valid", --- eventhough a similar request was denied last year?

None of this is anything near valid.

E-mail voting is prohibited by RONR. So if your bylaws do not authorize it now, the only way to "allow" it is with a bylaws amendment. And it sounds like it's too late for that.

"Polling" board members is not allowed, and does not constitute a legal meeting. Voting takes place in a properly called meeting at which a quorum is present.

I think I know how I would vote on this guy's candidacy. :P

The president should simply deny (or ignore) the request, because since none of this is taking place in a meeting, there is no place even to issue a ruling. Or the president can simply let everyone know that this whole idea is so far out of order that any decision reached by this method would be null and void anyway.

In general:

You won't find the word "veto" in the 700+ pages of RONR [10th ed.].

Presidents (or chairmen) have no power to veto anything, under the default rules of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised.

See RONR for (a.) points of order; (b.) appeals; whereby a kind of veto is executed, but not unilaterally by the chair.

See RONR for (a.) points of order; (b.) appeals; whereby a kind of veto is executed, but not unilaterally by the chair.

Well, in this case where candidates are sending out e-mails asking for e-mail straw polls to be binding, I think the chair can unilaterally call them crazy and ignore the whole request.

Archived