The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Charter members

Guest Karen

Currently I am serving on a committee to draft bylaws for adoption by a new organization that is forming. Under types of membership, what is a proper statement to definine Charter members? I realize that Charter members are the original members signed onto the permanent record (charter roll)which is filed with the original papers founding the organization.

RONR does not discuss bylaw texts.

Actually it discusses them pretty extensively, but it would not be appropriate to quote an entire chapter here.

By default, RONR just has "members". Are you (Karen) planning on having some sort of distinction between regular and charter members? If not, then there's no need to put anything in the bylaws. You can refer to them as "charter members" or "founders" or the like, using the ordinary dictionary definition.

Actually it discusses them pretty extensively, but it would not be appropriate to quote an entire chapter here.

By default, RONR just has "members". Are you (Karen) planning on having some sort of distinction between regular and charter members? If not, then there's no need to put anything in the bylaws. You can refer to them as "charter members" or "founders" or the like, using the ordinary dictionary definition.

We will have several types of members, including honorary lifetime members. The group took a shot at the Charter member description as follows:

"The original members signed onto the permanent record, which is filed with the original papers founding the CWA, shall be charter members."

"In addition, those members joining the CWA before December 31. 2011, shall be included in the roll of charter members."

This may be rather verbose, but is it appropriate? Do you have other language that is more concise.

We will have several types of members, including honorary lifetime members. The group took a shot at the Charter member description as follows:

"The original members signed onto the permanent record, which is filed with the original papers founding the CWA, shall be charter members."

"In addition, those members joining the CWA before December 31. 2011, shall be included in the roll of charter members."

This may be rather verbose, but is it appropriate? Do you have other language that is more concise.

I can almost guarantee that, sooner or later, someone is going to ask if there's a difference between actually being a charter member and only being included in the roll of charter members.

Why not simply define charter members as all those who join before a certain date. That would surely include the "original" members. Though, personally, I'd make more of a distinction between those who were there on the Day of Creation and those who joined later that same year.

Once you've defined these charter members, what special privileges do you anticipate giving them?

The Charter members will be given opportunity to pay the set amount of dues to become Lifetime members without waiting thru the cosecutive years of service criteria set out for Lifetime members. Thanks for asking, because I now realize that priviledge needs to be listed under Charter or Lifetime members. Other than that...Charter members will just be recognized as the origianal founders. Should there be some other distinction?

The Charter members will be given opportunity to pay the set amount of dues to become Lifetime members without waiting thru the cosecutive years of service criteria set out for Lifetime members. Thanks for asking, because I now realize that priviledge needs to be listed under Charter or Lifetime members. Other than that...Charter members will just be recognized as the origianal founders. Should there be some other distinction?

Now you are veering toward highly customized class distinctions, none of which can be answered using Robert's Rules of Order.

It is a question of philosophy or purpose of the various classes.

RONR, as you may know, only recognizes one class of membership, with an acknowledgment that organizations are free to add as many classes of membership as they deem fit.

Once you create a new class, you are on your own.

You will be creating problems for yourself. -- As witnessed by the many questions this Q&A Forum gets on "who can make motions if that class of membership cannot vote?", or "who counts toward the quorum?", etc.

Beware. Tread lightly.

"Thar be dragons."

Other than that...Charter members will just be recognized as the origianal founders.

Except it will include more than the original founders. It will include anyone who joins before the end of the year.

I would suggest you tread very carefully when defining classes of membership. Actually, I would suggest you begin with no classes of membership. You can always add them later. And you can discount the dues for the founders and for those who join before the end of the year without setting them permanently aside as a separate class of member.

Remember, every word or phrase you add to your bylaws is a potential time bomb.

RONR recommends no class distinctions between members.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others .

Currently I am serving on a committee to draft bylaws for adoption by a new organization that is forming. Under types of membership, what is a proper statement to definine Charter members? I realize that Charter members are the original members signed onto the permanent record (charter roll)which is filed with the original papers founding the organization.

In RONR, charter members are those who sign the original papers and pay the initial dues, although RONR also notes that in some organizations, all members who join by a specified date are called charter members. In RONR, this is a purely ceremonial title, and conveys no privileges beyond perhaps the honor of being listed as a "charter member" in various documents of the organization. Your organization may define charter members differently in its Bylaws if it wishes to.

Archived