The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes not approved

LLW

The minutes of a general membership meeting contain:

"A motion was passed (text of motion)."

The name of the motioner was missing and the minutes were not read or approved at the next meeting.

The motion mentioned was not made, discussed or voted on. What is the proper procedure for burying this motion? Should I make a motion under new business to amend and approve the previous minutes?

The name of the motioner was missing and the minutes were not read or approved at the next meeting.

The motion mentioned was not made, discussed or voted on. What is the proper procedure for burying this motion? Should I make a motion under new business to amend and approve the previous minutes?

The approval should come up automatically under the heading, "Reading and Approval of the Minutes", before the reading and approval of the last meeting's minutes. When the approval is pending, you can move to amend by striking out the incorrect paragraph.

If the minutes haven't yet been approved there's nothing to amend. They (the draft minutes) should be corrected prior to approval. If there's any disagreement as to the correction, a majority vote resolves the disagreement.

As RONR puts it, the minutes are not the minutes until they're approved.

You might also ask your secretary why things that didn't happen are included in her draft of the minutes.

Archived