The Official RONR Q & A Forums

behavior in emails and in meetings

Guest susan mckenzie

are there expectations of civility? for example are there proscriptions for foul language on the phone, unyielding, nagging commentary at meetings and/or vicious emails - all in connection with club business?

No rule in RONR prohibits the most filthy language imaginable outside of the context of a meeting. I have no idea what "unyielding, nagging commentary at meetings" means.

Are there expectations of civility?

Yes!

See RONR under "decorum".

Are there proscriptions for foul language on the phone ...

No!

No rule in RONR covers "private conversations."

... unyielding, nagging commentary at meetings ...

Yes!

See RONR under "decorum".

... and/or vicious emails?

No!

No rule in RONR covers "private letters/e-mails."

are there expectations of civility? for example are there proscriptions for foul language on the phone, unyielding, nagging commentary at meetings and/or vicious emails - all in connection with club business?

The rules of decorum for meetings are covered in RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 379-382. I'm not too clear on the nature of the commentary at meetings, so I'm not certain whether it would violate decorum. Since RONR is a book about procedure in meetings, it has no rules regarding conduct outside of meetings, however, the assembly may pursue disciplinary action if it feels this is appropriate, since an assembly may discipline its members for conduct "tending to injure the good name of the organization, disturb its well-being, or hamper it in its work." (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 630, lines 3-5) The disciplinary procedure in RONR is lengthy and complex, so be sure to read RONR, 10th ed., Ch. XX thoroughly before proceeding. If you have customized disciplinary procedures in your Bylaws, refer to those procedures instead.

Archived