The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Firing Secretary

Guest Bobby Jewett

I am the current treasurer of a college and I am having a problem with the secretary of student activities. This is a paid position paid from student senate account. Can we as the executive board and all senators at our weekly meeting address this matter and vote on it during our meeting to get her fired and replaced because she is a thorn in every treasurers(43) side.

It all depends on how this person became Secretary. If it is a hired position (ie. the Secretary is an employee, not an elected official), then she can be fired subject to local employment law and case law. If she is an elected official, then look at Chapter XX of RONR or the organization's own disciplinary rules.

Can we as the executive board and all senators at our weekly meeting address this matter and vote on it during our meeting to get her fired and replaced because she is a thorn in every treasurers(43) side.

It depends on how the position is appointed to begin with and what your rules say on the matter. It would also be helpful to know what sort of position this is. "Paid position" can encompass quite a bit in a student government. The answer will vary depending on if this is an actual employee of the organization (or the college), if this is an officer position with just a small stipend, or a non-officer position with just a small stipend.

You have 43 treasurers?

I suspect it's just a typo, but it could also be an indication of how many treasurers the organization has had during the service of this individual.

I suspect it's just a typo, but it could also be an indication of how many treasurers the organization has had during the service of this individual.

The secretary is the "thorn" and she yet she has outlasted forty-three treasurers? I, for one, can't wait for the details. Is this forty-three years of treasurers? One horrible year of a new treasurer every week?

The secretary is the "thorn" and she yet she has outlasted forty-three treasurers? I, for one, can't wait for the details. Is this forty-three years of treasurers? One horrible year of a new treasurer every week?

Don't forget that each treasurer has at least two sides, plus one backside, each of which could potentially be susceptible to thorns.

Can we as the executive board and all senators at our weekly meeting address this matter and vote on it during our meeting to get her fired and replaced...

The executive board has only the power given to it by the bylaws or by vote of the organization's assembly referring individual matters to it. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 465, l. 28-30.

The executive board has only the power given to it by the bylaws or by vote of the organization's assembly referring individual matters to it. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 465, l. 28-30.

Well, since the post said "executive board and all senators," I suspect the poster was referring to a meeting of the organization's assembly itself.

Archived