The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Multiple Reports Being Read

Guest SelenaW

I would like to know what the correct procedure is for multiple persons reading reports with the same protocol at the beginning of a report. Once the first part of the report has been read and should the all the following persons reading their reports state, "Protocol being established ......." or should they not say "Protocol being established ......."

I would like to know what the correct procedure is for multiple persons reading reports with the same protocol at the beginning of a report.

Once the first part of the report has been read and should the all the following persons reading their reports state, "Protocol being established ......."

or should they not say "Protocol being established ......."

"Protocol ... protocol ... protocol ..."

"Marsha! Marsha! Marsha!"
:huh:

What is with all this protocol?

Why are you messing with protocol?

The word "protocol" does not appear anywhere within Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed. 2000).

What are you talking about?

And who is "establishing" all this protocol that you think is being established?

Do you have a question about parliamentary procedure?

I would like to know what the correct procedure is for multiple persons reading reports with the same protocol at the beginning of a report. Once the first part of the report has been read and should the all the following persons reading their reports state, "Protocol being established ......." or should they not say "Protocol being established ......."

The easiest way is to just say that the next member will continue reading the report. Then wake me up when you are done as the report is too long to be read to the meeting.

I've only seen this once before, and didn't understand it then. Why must anyone say "protocol being established"? Do you know?

The easiest way is to just say that the next member will continue reading the report. Then wake me up when you are done as the report is too long to be read to the meeting.

While the original post is not entirely clear on this, I think the question is regarding multiple reports, not multiple individuals reading the same report.

There is nothing in RONR which requires or suggests that anyone ever say the phrase "Protocol being established." The chair simply calls for the next report in the order of business.

Of course, I have no idea what you mean by "reports with the same protocol," as such terminology doesn't appear in RONR. If you would explain what that's all about we might be able to provide further assistance.

Never heard of it. Whatzit do?

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 344, l. 19 - p. 345, l. 20, for the proper protocol on receiving reports.

Archived