The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion passed but goes against Club Mission Statement

Guest Keleigh

Our club uses funds raised to help the children in our community. We had a request for funds that does not benefit the mission statement in anyway. It was motioned to give $250 (because the person motioning new the requester)and was seconded. We had discussion about it and when it came down to the vote it was 5 to 4 in favor. I am the president of the club and I don't agree with the vote at all. Is there anything that I can do or are we stuck? I am afraid that with this donation we will set the precident of more requests coming in and not benefiting kids!! Please help!

At the next meeting, assuming the check hasn't been sent, move to rescind what was adopted. RONR, p. 293ff

If further requests fall outside of the mission of the organization, raise a point of order immediately. "No motion can be introduced that is outside the object of the society or assembly as defined in the bylaws (see p. 554), unless by a two-thirds vote the body agrees to its consideration." RONR, p. 333

If further requests fall outside of the mission of the organization, raise a point of order immediately.

Or, since you are the president, rule the motion out of order. But as noted, the motion still can be considered if two-thirds of the members present and voting want to consider it. (But note that since you did not rule the motion out of order, and no one raised a point of order, the result stands unless the group now votes to rescind it.)

Or, since you are the president, rule the motion out of order. But as noted, the motion still can be considered if two-thirds of the members present and voting want to consider it. (But note that since you did not rule the motion out of order, and no one raised a point of order, the result stands unless the group now votes to rescind it.)

Thanks, Weldon, I didn't see the OP was President...

Archived