The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Emails after meeting has adjourned

Guest Carol Landers

Guest Carol Landers

How are discussions via emails addressed? Certain board members will begin discussions via emails after a meeting has adjourned. These emails begin without being part of a scheduled meeting and thus there is no sure way to know if an email discussion is being conducted. I can't imagine this is allowed, but I don't know where I can point to say this is not okay. Thanks

How are discussions via emails addressed? Certain board members will begin discussions via emails after a meeting has adjourned. These emails begin without being part of a scheduled meeting and thus there is no sure way to know if an email discussion is being conducted. I can't imagine this is allowed, but I don't know where I can point to say this is not okay. Thanks

You can't prohibit people from having conversations outside a meeting. If they're attempting to do business that's another matter. But friends yakkity yakkin about what was done or talked about at the meeting is just that - yakkity yak.

You cannot stop people from talking outside a meeting - which this is. It's called freedom of speech. However, the decisions cannot be made without a proper motion at a properly called meeting. Some discussion outside of the meeting can actually help speed up decisions as members will no longer have to discuss issues as long at a meeting if they have already discussed the issue beforehand.

Guest Carol Landers

I understand that discussions do occur outside of scheduled meetings, and I have no problems with those types of discussions; as many have said, many good ideas come up during such conversations. However, I am talking about topics that were decided at the meeting, the meeting was adjourned, and a board member then continues to discuss the topic via emails and elicits a change in what was decided at the scheduled meeting. Also, our bylaws do not provide for electronic meetings.

However, I am talking about topics that were decided at the meeting, the meeting was adjourned, and a board member then continues to discuss the topic via emails and elicits a change in what was decided at the scheduled meeting. Also, our bylaws do not provide for electronic meetings.

It wasn't an electronic meeting. It wasn't a meeting at all. And no changes were "elicited" (whatever that means). It was just an exchange of e-mail messages. Nothing more. Nothing happened and anyone who pretends otherwise is mistaken.

Thank you for your responses. And by elicit, I meant that those participating in the email conversations believes that they have now created a change in what was decided at the meeting. The remainder of us are trying to convey to them, that once a meeting is adjourned, we can't change things decided at the meeting by continuing the conversation via email. However, we are being looked upon as behind the times and not taking advantage of technology.

However, we are being looked upon as behind the times and not taking advantage of technology.

The only problem is that you'll have to change your rules before you can take advantage of technology. In the meantime, you might want to direct your forward-looking board members to these articles:

http://www.aipparl.org/pdf/AIPemeet5.PDF

And stay tuned for the imminent publication of the 11th edition of RONR.

Thanks for the link to the articles you referenced. I embrace technology and will definitely bring this information to the board, so that if we do decide to have electronic meetings they will be organized. However, I think that this chain of emails alone demonstrates how emails do not allow accurate conveyance of ideas and information. I find that it often takes people two to three times as long to convey accurately what they intended. Also, of course, tone of voice is never conveyed and thus we end up having people angry, hurt or upset.

However, I think that this chain of emails alone demonstrates how emails do not allow accurate conveyance of ideas and information. I find that it often takes people two to three times as long to convey accurately what they intended. Also, of course, tone of voice is never conveyed and thus we end up having people angry, hurt or upset.

Exactly. And despite my reference to the forthcoming 11th edition, don't expect RONR to abandon its faith in the deliberative assembly where "the group meets in a single room or area under equivalent conditions for simultaneous aural communication among all participants" (p.1).

Thank you for your responses. And by elicit, I meant that those participating in the email conversations believes that they have now created a change in what was decided at the meeting. The remainder of us are trying to convey to them, that once a meeting is adjourned, we can't change things decided at the meeting by continuing the conversation via email. However, we are being looked upon as behind the times and not taking advantage of technology.

Sounds as if your problem is not e-mails at all, but rather a few who think they can override the many. What's done or talked about outside a meeting is of no consequence. Ban the e-mails, and they could have the same conversations by phone, in person, texting, or through letter writing. Has nothing to do with technology, but realizing that when it's decided at the meeting, it's decided at the meeting. Wanna amend it? Do so at the meeting.

Yes, upon reflection, you are correct. The problem is not emails, however, those using emails to continue the topic from the meeting, somehow think that by using emails, it is legitimate - possibly because they email all board member (even though a few of our board members do not have continual access to electronic devices - as rare as that is in this day and age). It has become a nightmare because these members have attempted to cause a two to three hour meeting turn into a week long meeting via emails. I appreciate everyone's input in this forum and I feel more confident at our next board meeting to approach this subject and reign in the few loose cannons on our board.

Yes, upon reflection, you are correct. The problem is not emails, however, those using emails to continue the topic from the meeting, somehow think that by using emails, it is legitimate -

Well, it's not. Anything decided at the meeting can't be changed outside of a meeting, and anything left unfinished at a meeting remains unfinished until the next meeting.

Archived