The Official RONR Q & A Forums

military

Guest Nick

I am a student at a college and we use the Roberts Rules book for our student government and I heard that you cant be involved in the military and be away and also run for President. I wanted to know if this is true or not and where it states this in the book.

I am a student at a college and we use the Roberts Rules book for our student government and I heard that you cant be involved in the military and be away and also run for President. I wanted to know if this is true or not and where it states this in the book.

Qualifications for office are to be found in the organization's own bylaws (or constitution), not in Robert's Rules of Order.

It doesn't state it anywhere in the book. But the person you should be asking for a page number is the person who made that claim. It's their outlandish claim, it should be up to them to prove it.

It's not true, and it doesn't state it in the book.

I heard that you cant be involved in the military and be away and also run for President.

I wanted to know if this is true or not and where it states this in the book.

FALSE.

A citation is impossible, as there are NO qualifications of any kind to hold office.

Let me emphasize that.

If you are ... :

• a convicted felon

• serving a life sentence in prison

• hospitalized for a coma

• a registered sex offender

... then you are STILL ELIGIBLE to be elected, under Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th edition 2000).

The voters are that free to elect the person of their choice.

So,

(a.) serving in the military, and/or

(b.) being a continent away for a year-long tour of duty,

either way, no parliamentary rule restricts the voters from voting for you, and does not restrict any member from nominating you.

Although, if you won't be around for a substantial length of time, it might not be the best plan. There could be duties of the President that are not transferable to the Vice President or Chair Pro Tem, and thus could not be accomplished. If the President is also a Board member, then that would be one less vote at Board meetings to be cast, which could have an affect on business brought before it. It might have been your vote that would have broken (or created) a tie and allowed something good to happen, or prevented something bad from happening.

No, there is no RONR impediment to "running" for President. But does it serve the organization? Just a thought....

Archived