The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Telephone Vote

joekronen

A district committee of nine, of a larger group, needs to vote in a new member.

Can this be done by a telephone vote?

This is not covered by our Bylaws, and we are governed by Robert’s Rules.

Only if the bylaws provide for it (RONR p. 482). Since your bylaws don't seem to cover this you can't do it (RONR pp. 408-409, p. 244[d]).

A district committee of nine, of a larger group, needs to vote in a new member.

Can this be done by a telephone vote?

This is not covered by our Bylaws, and we are governed by Robert’s Rules.

Nope. RONR only allows voting by members who are physically present at a legal meeting, presuming your bylaws are silent.

Also, it is unusual for committees to appoint their own members. Are you sure that's in keeping with your rules?

What about using E-mail instead of telephone vote?

One more time:

"Nope. RONR only allows voting by members who are physically present at a legal meeting, presuming your bylaws are silent."

So before you ask: no text messages, no telegraph, no smoke signals, no flag semaphores, no ham radio, no CB, no Skype, no AIM, no Google Chat, no IRC, no heliograph, no carrier pigeon, no skywriting, no messages in bottles, nor any other absentee method unless explicitly authorized (with appropriate accompanying rules) in the bylaws.

no text messages, no telegraph, no smoke signals, no flag semaphores, no ham radio, no CB, no Skype, no AIM, no Google Chat, no IRC, no heliograph, no carrier pigeon, no skywriting, no messages in bottles, nor any other absentee method unless explicitly authorized (with appropriate accompanying rules) in the bylaws.

You sound like me. ;)

(I've got to add "heliograph" to my master list.) B)

Archived