The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Similar Agenda Items

Guest Jack L

I have had a request from two individuals to place items on the agenda that are very similar. Both parties want to form a committee to review our constitution and by-laws. The second to ask is concerned that he might not agree with the wording of the first and therefore wants to be on the agenda as well. What does Robert's Rules have to say?

I have had a request from two individuals to place items on the agenda that are very similar. Both parties want to form a committee to review our constitution and by-laws. The second to ask is concerned that he might not agree with the wording of the first and therefore wants to be on the agenda as well. What does Robert's Rules have to say?

First, normally no agenda is necessary when the Standard Order of Business (RONR p. 25) will suffice. Under New Business (unless the question of establishing a committee is already pending) a member can make a motion to do what he wants to do and that motion is subject to amendment if someone has other ideas.

Well, he can do what he wants, but if he didn't agree with the wording of the first motion, he should probably move to amend it while it is under discussion. If he just sits and waits his turn, he may find that the first motion has passed in a form he doesn't like, and people view his motion as superfluous.

Our by-laws require that items be submitted in advance for consideration at our business meeting. As our deacon body has submitted an item first, I am unsure as to what to do with the second request. The only basic difference is who will form the committee. To me they are basically the same motion. Is there some rule about not voting on the same motion twice in the same meeting?

Is there some rule about not voting on the same motion twice in the same meeting?

It is not in order to vote on a motion which presents substantially the same question during the same meeting. Whoever goes first (either by placement on the agenda or by being quick on the draw during New Business) will make their motion, and the other member should attempt to Amend that motion while it is pending.

Archived