The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflict of interest

Guest mojoman

I have a question. Is there any rule against having too many from the same family running the board. As of right now the son is the President, the other brother is running for Vice President,another son is a trustee and the father is a trustee. Also a cousin is the recording secretary. Out of 7 positions 4 are from the immediate family and 1 cousin. Is there any ruling of how many from a family can run for office? Does it make a difference if noone is running against them or if there is? Would it not be bias and unfair to the other minority on the board?

I have a question. Is there any rule against having too many from the same family running the board. As of right now the son is the President, the other brother is running for Vice President,another son is a trustee and the father is a trustee. Also a cousin is the recording secretary. Out of 7 positions 4 are from the immediate family and 1 cousin. Is there any ruling of how many from a family can run for office? Does it make a difference if noone is running against them or if there is? Would it not be bias and unfair to the other minority on the board?

As far as RONR is concerned there is no limit on how many family members can serve on the same body. I am sure there are many family owned companies which uses RONR for its business meetings where most (if not all) of the Board members are from the same family.

As far as RONR is concerned there is no limit on how many family members can serve on the same body. I am sure there are many family owned companies which uses RONR for its business meetings where most (if not all) of the Board members are from the same family.

[/quote

I should have mentioned that it is a private club and not a family business!

This sounds like the Kennedy family... or the Bushes for that matter.

RONR doesn't prohibit any of what you've described, and it doesn't restrict anyone from serving in office. If your organization doesn't have any rules against it, it's simply for the voters to decide.

Is there any ruling of how many from a family can run for office?

There is no limit in RONR.

Does it make a difference if noone is running against them or if there is?

No.

Would it not be bias and unfair to the other minority on the board?

Not necessarily. It depends on the individuals involved and the particular circumstances. If it is becoming problematic, then the general membership should elect other board members.

Archived