The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election and new board members

ecu71

We are a 9-member board of a church preschool which meets monthly. At our last meeting in May, 2 amendment were made to our by-laws. 1/3 of our members are appointed each year to serve a 3 yr term beginning August 1 to coincide with the school year (previously terms were to begin in January). (Our board recommends new board members to a church council, which approves the nominations.) Our officers are elected in June, taking office in July (Nothing in original by-laws which stated when elections would be held--we've always done them in January). As board chair, I'm uncomfortable with the fact that outgoing members elect officers before new members have even been appointed. Is this proper?

I'm uncomfortable with the fact that outgoing members elect officers before new members have even been appointed. Is this proper?

"Proper" is doing whatever your rules say. A typical arrangement is when the general membership elects board members and then the (re-constituted) board meets to elect its officers. Your rules may vary.

But only one-third of your board is "outgoing" (and that's only if they're not re-elected) so it may not be as much of a problem as you think. In any case, the rules can always be changed.

We are a 9-member board of a church preschool which meets monthly.

First, let me say that you're very articulate for a preschooler.

As board chair, I'm uncomfortable with the fact that outgoing members elect officers before new members have even been appointed.

As board chair, you should only be uncomfortable with violations of the rules.

Is this proper?

If you're following your bylaws, it is proper. Also, there is nothing inherently unreasonable about members electing officers, whether or not they will soon no longer be members. Perhaps, the purpose of the bylaw provisions is to allow members with the most experience to weigh in on the election.

Thank you for the compliment--I should have said that I am chair of the board that governs a church preschool.

I still feel as though the outgoing members (1 of whom wrote the amendment for elections to be held in June, taking office in July, and then new members beginning their terms in August)to be controlling. I don't vote unless to break a tie, but the other 8 members (we have no general membership because preschoolers can't vote) vote "with the flow".

Archived