The Official RONR Q & A Forums

making an additional motion to approve agenda when first motion was made incorrectly

Guest Janie Prazuch

Guest Janie Prazuch

A motion and second was made to approve the agenda as posted and a few items later on the agenda, the board president realized there were two additions that needed to be added to the agenda, so he asked for another motion to approve the agenda with changes. How should my minutes reflect both of those motions and seconds?

A motion and second was made to approve the agenda as posted and a few items later on the agenda, the board president realized there were two additions that needed to be added to the agenda, so he asked for another motion to approve the agenda with changes. How should my minutes reflect both of those motions and seconds?

To amend the previously adopted agenda would require a 2/3 vote or a majority of the ENTIRE membership (of the body that is meeting) [RONR pp. 293-299]. However, if the items are of a New Business nature that business could be moved under New Business. As always your rules may say otherwise.

Chris, it's after the fact: what is our esteemed correspondent, Ms Prazuch, to say in the minutes? Don't forget the seconds.

("Prazuch." What an unusual name. If you would be so kind as to indulge my geneological and consanguinary curiousity, Ms Prazuch, what is its provenance, southeastern Europe? Reminds me of Novosielski, except harder to pronounce. ... Maybe this isn't the Robert's Rules Geneology Forum here, it occurs to me. But the regulars here get away with murder.)

Chris, it's after the fact: what is our esteemed correspondent, Ms Prazuch, to say in the minutes? Don't forget the seconds.

Well technically if a motion to ASPA wasn't made the motion to amend the previously adopted motion the second motion is null and void per RONR p. 244b (unless it was adopted by a 2/3 vote or a MEM) but somehow I don't think that would accomplish anything since whatever needed to be added could (presumably) be dealt with during New Business. As for what goes in the minutes I would suggest that the minutes reflect what was done (even if it was improper).

*A motion was made to approve the agenda as posted. (The fact that a motion was seconded doesn't need to go into the minutes.)

and further in the minutes...

*A motion was made to approve the agenda with the following amendments:<<insert changes here>>

Guest Janie Prazuch

("Prazuch." What an unusual name. If you would be so kind as to indulge my geneological and consanguinary curiousity, Ms Prazuch, what is its provenance, southeastern Europe? Reminds me of Novosielski, except harder to pronounce. ... Maybe this isn't the Robert's Rules Geneology Forum here, it occurs to me. But the regulars here get away with murder.)

So you figure that, regardless of whether the motion to add the new items was valid, those motions, if adopted, are beyond challenge?

I think so unless their rules say that ONLY items of business that are included in the agenda can be validly conducted (and I believe that such a rule would at a minimum be on the level of a Special Rule of Order if not in the bylaws).

Archived