The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elected Offiers on a Board

Guest Kay

I am serving on a committee that consists of 9 members. One from each district of our county. In October 4 new members were coming on board but the old board voted on its officers before we arrived. Is this legal? They kept the control in the power of the old board members. Thanks for the help.

See RONR page 471. If the board membership rotates periodically, then each time the board rotates it is a new board and so a brand new set of officers and committees will have to be created (special committees will expire; standing committees will likely need reappointment). If it just so happened that a lot of you took office at the same time, then what they did is valid - although you might be able to rescind some elections and rerun them depending on the term of the members of the executive committee as defined in your bylaws.

I am serving on a committee that consists of 9 members. One from each district of our county. In October 4 new members were coming on board but the old board voted on its officers before we arrived. Is this legal? They kept the control in the power of the old board members. Thanks for the help.

You started out with a committee, and then you started talking about a board. I suspect not even George can guess which we're really talking about here.

If the four new members were elected as part of a periodic election cycle (e.g. four members are elected every two years), then the board chooses new officers when these new members take up their duties. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 471, l. 13-28.

The details are not clear enough to be sure.

You start by mentioning a committee, then you switch to the "old board" and officers. Which is it? What does the committee have to do with the board?

If the voting of the officers by the "old board" did not violate any bylaw (regarding election of officers and so forth) or other parliamentary requirement (such as having a quorum present), then it seems like good ol' fashioned politics at play. It's worked for over 200 years, and still going strong!! ;)

(I had this sitting on my screen while on the phone for ten minutes, come back and click Post, and what do my eyes behold?!?!?):P

You started out with a committee, and then you started talking about a board.

You started out with a committee, and then you started talking about a board. I suspect not even George can guess which we're really talking about here.

If the four new members were elected as part of a periodic election cycle (e.g. four members are elected every two years), then the board chooses new officers when these new members take up their duties. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 471, l. 13-28.

The details are not clear enough to be sure.

Based on the cleverly-hidden subtitle, my guess was that it's a board trying to elect its executive committee.

Archived