The Official RONR Q & A Forums

writing a resolution

Guest farmersdaughter

Guest FARMERSDAUGHTER

I beleive that is what the committe was trying to do. However when the chairman called me and ask me to type up the resolution that we would need for the meeting i got lost in a BIG way...... I just thought it had to be motions that were read voted on and then revoted on.... RESOLUTION HELL I DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING AND I DONT THINK THE CHAIRMAN DOES EITHER. I THINK I WAS PUT ON THE COMMITTEE BECAUSE I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH ROBERTS RULE OF ORDER NEWLY REVISED !!!!! I THINK I NEED TO JUMP SHIP NOW.....

someone in their own word tell me what a resolution would look like if:

"POA will have on site voting at the club house 1st Saturday of Sept 9-3 and 3rd Sat in Sept 12-8"

Resolved, That on-site voting shall be held at the club house on the first Saturday of September from nine o'clock A.M. until three o'clock P.M. and on the third Saturday in September from Noon until eight o'clock P.M.

1. I'm not sure that "on-site" has any meaning.

2. It might be a good idea to mention the subject of this vote.

3. Whether or not this resolution is in order is for the chair and, ultimately, the assembly to decide.

By 'resolution', he almost certainly means 'motion'. I don't know why you are voting on motions twice, but what should occur is a suggested amendment to the bylaws. The best way to do this is probably to look at your current bylaws and the bylaws as you would like them to read. If you're not sure how the bylaws are supposed to read, you should talk this over with the committee. Once you know how the bylaws should look, deciding the best way to actually create a motion from the changes shouldn't be too hard.

From the sounds of what you're talking about, though, it sounds like most of your voting takes place outside a meeting, and you want to keep it that way but limit the forms of voting allowed. We generally don't like to wade that far into bylaws in this forum, although others may disagree with me here?

Guest farmersdaughter

Resolved, That on-site voting shall be held at the club house on the first Saturday of September from nine o'clock A.M. until three o'clock P.M. and on the third Saturday in September from Noon until eight o'clock P.M.

1. I'm not sure that "on-site" has any meaning.

2. It might be a good idea to mention the subject of this vote.

3. Whether or not this resolution is in order is for the chair and, ultimately, the assembly to decide.

Guest farmersdaughter

Ok now I feel like I am getting closer.

Resolved is the is the motion?

So what is Resolution?

Onsite voting sorry , this is for our election of the board.

In the RESOLVED do I need to explain exactly how the process will take place?

I guess I mean entering detail such as you will need proper ID you will need your membership card (just in case there is a question on if you are a member in good standing) You will be required to sign to recieve your ballot. You ballot must be filled out proir to leaving the club house and dropped in ballot box ect????

Ok now I feel like I am getting closer.

Resolved is the is the motion?

So what is Resolution?

Onsite voting sorry , this is for our election of the board.

In the RESOLVED do I need to explain exactly how the process will take place?

I guess I mean entering detail such as you will need proper ID you will need your membership card (just in case there is a question on if you are a member in good standing) You will be required to sign to recieve your ballot. You ballot must be filled out proir to leaving the club house and dropped in ballot box ect????

No, but we seem to have lost sight of the fact that you will first need to amend your bylaws, to accomplish what you want. So the resolution will actually be a resolution (same as a motion really) to amend the bylaws, specifying exactly what language is to be deleted, added or replaced.

The process for amending your bylaws should be contained within the bylaws themselves, and must be followed. Until you remove the authorization for absentee voting from the bylaws, no resolution to eliminate it would be in order.

Guest farmerdaughter

No, but we seem to have lost sight of the fact that you will first need to amend your bylaws, to accomplish what you want. So the resolution will actually be a resolution (same as a motion really) to amend the bylaws, specifying exactly what language is to be deleted, added or replaced.

The process for amending your bylaws should be contained within the bylaws themselves, and must be followed. Until you remove the authorization for absentee voting from the bylaws, no resolution to eliminate it would be in order.

Archived