The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting on a Motion/Agenda Item

Guest Compton, CA

How many times can an agenda item/motion be voted on? Let's say that an item was voted down; can that item appear again(without being called back for a member to change his/her vote)without changes?

Unless your bylaws say otherwise any defeated motion can be renewed each and every session until it is adopted.

How many times can an agenda item/motion be voted on? Let's say that an item was voted down; can that item appear again(without being called back for a member to change his/her vote)without changes?

If a main motion is lost, it can be renewed at each following session, until it is adopted. The rule is that an assembly cannot be asked to decide the same or substantially the same question twice during one session, except through a motion to Rescind, Amend Something Previously Adopted, or Reconsider.

It can be brought up again next time, and the time after that and.... until passed, or until the mover gets tired of making the motion.

And besides, motions can't be "called back" for a member to change his/her vote anyway, once the meeting moves on to other business, or adjourns.

:huh: This seemed like a reference to Reconsider to me. What are you getting out of it?

Playing the odds--90% or more of the time, these questions that suggest Reconsideration, and may even refer to people voting with the prevailing side, and so forth, actually turn out to refer to renewing a lost motion at a future meeting when Reconsider, with scant exception, will be too late.

I suppose that's because it is unlikely for people to pose questions here while the assembly is still in session.

But I'm always open to future trickles of fact.

Playing the odds--90% or more of the time, these questions that suggest Reconsideration, and may even refer to people voting with the prevailing side, and so forth, actually turn out to refer to renewing a lost motion at a future meeting when Reconsider, with scant exception, will be too late.

I suppose that's because it is unlikely for people to pose questions here while the assembly is still in session.

But I'm always open to future trickles of fact.

Fair enough. ;)

Archived